
One of the premiere outdoor art festivals is held every year in Denver. M and I went to it yesterday. Luckily, we arrived when it began. Parking was a breeze but it wasn't that way when we left. We saw people circling our lot a few times and we were even followed to our car.
The weather was perfect. Denver is known for its afternoon severe weather. By arriving so early, we missed the storms which showed up later. It was a little cloudy and cool... we couldn't have asked for better weather to stroll through Cherry Creek and take in all the art.
I've always loved art and said that if we had Bill Gates kind of money, I'd buy original art. I can only live in one house and drive one car, at a time, but I can have lots of art around me. It would make me very happy.
M loved the festival. We've taken several times but, I think, this was the first time she really "got" it. She and I spent time in each booth, appreciating the pieces as well as the creativity and skill of the artists. Being the extrovert that she is, she had no problem seeking them out and discussing their work. Not one artist brushed her aside or talked over her to me. They politely and enthusiastically answered her questions, gave their insights and asked about her own abilities. We collected all the free postcards and bookmarks that the artists give away and she spent much of her computer time yesterday looking at their websites. I love that she has such an appreciation.

To end our outing, we visited the Farmers Market (great logo, don't you think?) set up in the mall parking lot. There were so many samples offered that we almost didn't need to eat lunch. We bought a bottle of peach cider (how have I gone this long without tasting this?!? So yummy!), a package of taco seasoning and two kohlrabi (German turnips that my German mother grew when I was a kid).

Because we were walking a lot yesterday and it was July 4th, I carried a red, white and blue madras plaid tote bag. It was the perfect size to carry everything we needed and some things, luckily, we didn't... an umbrella and M's hoodie.
After waiting out a drenching afternoon rainstorm and eating at a favorite Mexican restaurant, our family finished the day watching fireworks at our favorite spot. DQ Blizzards on the ride home capped off a perfect Fourth of July.
I hope yours was just as nice!

4 comments:
I love local art festivals. We have one we attend every year that is only 10 minutes from our house and we choose one piece to buy. Some years it is a $15 glass votive thing (but much cooler) and some years (okay, one year) it is a semi-expensive piece of original art.
On a related note, we have one day and night to spend in Denver in August. What do you suggest?
That is soooo cool! I need to look for something like that to tak V to. She would love that! Sounds like a really wonderful day!
Stacy... I emailed you.
Lori...V would love it as much as M did.
Sounds like a wonderful festival Kathy. Glad ya'll had great weather too.
Post a Comment