
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?
Before I post my First Line Friday, I have to say "Thank you" to my friend, Karen at http://karenintx.blogspot.com/. Check out her blog...she has a great feature called "Grab It Graphics". She creates great graphics that you can "steal" (giving her credit, of course) for your blog. She created the first First Line Friday graphic and the other day she sent a new graphic for First Line Friday. She's so creative and this graphic just fits First Line Friday.

"In the summer of 1844, Garnet Cameron graduated from Miss Wayne's Select Academy for Young Ladies."
Jubilee Trail
Gwen Bristow
This first line is right up my alley. Right away, I'm curious if Garnet is a proper young lady or a rebel who couldn't wait to graduate.
Misfitandmom at http://misfitandmom.livejournal.com/ had blogged about an author who I had never read... Gwen Bristow. Her novels are historical fiction BFBs...just what I love!! So, after waitng a while for the library to get the books from the resource collection (I've not a clue what that is), I checked these out. I look forward to reading them. She also blogged about missing great "old" books by only reading new releases. Go to her blog, she has some wonderful suggestions of novels that you may or may not have read but ones that are definitely worth your time!
Another blogger, Alyce at http://athomewithbooks.blogspot.com/, is also championing great older reads with her meme, "My Favorite Reads". I'm challenging myself to read or re-read older books instead of always wanting to stick to the front tables at the book store.

One of the great things about having a thirteen year old son is giving him a few dollars, my grocery card and sending to the store for a gallon of milk. The grocery store is about six blocks away, at the end of our sub-division. It's great not having to run into the grocery store for just milk....that's what thirteen year old sons are for :o)

My bag today was a fun summer bag from Bath & Body Works. It's a patchwork bag with the patches made out of striped Oxford shirt material. I'm very careful with it as it will get dirty fairly easily and I'm not sure it would survive the wash, even in the delicate cycle.

6 comments:
I love the sound of that first line Kathy. I love reading about the late 1800's pre and post Civil War too. Let me know how this one is. You're welcome for the graphic. Anything, anytime you want it I'll try to make for you....or steal it if I have to. ;)
Thank you for mentioning the My Favorite Reads meme! It's been great reading everyone's picks!
Kathy, thanks for the kind words :)
I loved Jubilee Trail - that discovery made all due to an Amazon friend who read and reviewed it and I was hooked on Bristow. Calico Palace is still my fav though. I love tales of old California and the Gold Country.
A short one today from Daphne Du Maurier's The Parasites - "It was Charles who called us the parasites". How would like like to be such a despicable group of siblings you're referred to as parasites? And is it somewhat autobiographical based on her own family relationships?
PS, Reading Adventures has a short bit today on Bon Jovi if you're interested, http://readingadventures.blogspot.com/2009/07/very-important-question.html
Misfitandmom...Thanks for doing First Line Friday. I'll definitely head over to Reading Adventures...thanks for the tip!
Alyce~
I love "My Favorite Reads"... what a great way to remember or find great older books.
You'll love Shogun...it has it all!
That first line made me wonder the same thing you did...lady or rebel? Can't wait to hear what you think if it.
Post a Comment