
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?
"The music room in the Governor's House at Port Mahon, a tall handsome, pillared octagon, was filled with the triumphant first movement of Locatelli's C major quartet."
Master and Commander
Patrick O'Brian

This first line really sets the mood. However, I just assumed that, because this novel is about the British Navy, the first line would be a bit more "seaworthy" :o)
Not that I'm disappointed, I've been wanting to read this series for quite a while. I know that sailors aren't always at sea, so, I'll assume this is a "goodbye" ball for the officers before they set sail. Am I correct? I'll let you know.
I checked this book out at the library. We went today for no reason...well, of course, the reason is to get books. We had no books on hold to pick up, no list of new titles and no new titles by authors we love. We just roamed the stacks. Besides Master and Commander, all of the books I picked up were titles I had never heard of. I just picked titles that sounded interesting. Don't worry, Lori, I'll blog about them tomorrow :o)
Lori suggested that I post a video every day. I agreed... but only for a week. The video for today is one you've probably never heard of and if you have, you've probably forgotten about it. Why is it important enough to put on my blog? I'll tell you after you watch it. It might take a minute to load but, in my opinion, it's worth watching. It's "Day by Day" by The Hooters.
The Hooters - Day by Day (Nervous Nights Music Video) from Hooters Music on Vimeo.
The reason it's important enough to share on my blog is because my sister is in it :o) She and her friends were waiting in line at the concert (in 1986) when a limo drove by. They went up to it, knowing it was the band. Someone in the car was filming and, voila, my sister (the blonde in blue), became an overnight sensation. Okay, not really :o) We didn't know that she was even in a video until she watched it on MTV. If you watch the video, you can see her from about :56 to about 1:03. Yeah, that's my little sister :o)
Today, as we ran errands... gas, car wash, library, shoe shopping and, of course, Happy Hour at Sonic, I used my Liz Claiborne black and white cheetah print hobo with deep red patent trim and handles.

6 comments:
I've not read any of the Patrick O'Brien novels, but I did watch the video and saw your sister. Very cool!
How cool is that!! That must have been so neat to watch the video and think HEY, that's me!!
I've heard a lot about Master and Commander but I'm not big on sea battles and stuff. I've never just gone into the library and picked books off the shelf, my holds seem to rule my life anyway (and they're going to take it over again very very soon).
"Captain Ahab was neither my first husband nor my last."
Ahab's Wife, Senna Jeter Naslund.
I'm not really into sea battles either but I've heard great things about this series so I'm giving it a try. Who knows... it might be a "one and done" type of book.
Misfitandmom~ It was fun just choosing books off the shelves. I know what you mean about holds ruling your life. I was kind of surprised that we had no hold ready for us.
Great First Line. I've seen that novel and wondered about it. I'll look forward to your review.
Is this book what the movie Master and Commander was based on Kathy? I had no desire to see the movie but the book sounds really interesting. I'll have to check for the book. I couldn't view the video because of stupid dial up but that's cool your sister was in the video.
Karen~ It is the book that the movie is based on. I never wanted to see the movie but I hope I'll like the book.
Post a Comment