Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about book covers…
We all know the old adage about not judging a book by it’s cover, but just how much sway does a book cover have when it comes to your choice of book – whether buying or borrowing? Are there any books you’ve bought based on the cover alone?
I love to look at book covers. I am especially drawn to two kinds... one with homes and ones with women.

The books with homes draw me in because they often look like a painting. I guess it's also that those types of novels are usually romances or "feel good" novels. I can pretty much count on a happy ending.
>


Novels that have women on the covers will always strike a chord with me. The historical novels with women wearing velvet dresses in rich colors generally with a lot of jewels are one of my favorite type of covers. The other kind is women, usually 1950s era, wearing very "Grace Kelly"ish type dresses. Two covers like that spring, instantly, to mind. Both are by Adriana Trigiani. Lucia, Lucia is one of my favorite novels. Very Valentine is a great book that I was just tonight discussing with Lori (lori-thequeensnewthrone.blogspot.com). The covers of both books are perfect examples of what I'm talking about. I do have to say, however, that when I googling covers, I found a cover of Lucia, Lucia that combines my love of homes and women on the cover :o)



That said, though, the covers may draw me in but unless I think I will enjoy reading I won't buy or check it out. I'm not made of money and just because a book has a beautiful cover doesn't mean it's worth my money and, more inportantly, my time. There have been books I have loved that had covers that were less than impressive. I understand the importance of cover art, but, I'm really beyond that. Honestly, I think most "real" (those of us who read more than the NYT bestsellers, Oprah picks or the latest "book club" phenomenon) readers are.

I realized that I hadn't showed by bag lately. We visited my father-in-law in the hospital (hopefully, nothing major). I carried my silver Clinique tote. My nephew asked if it was Judy Jetson's bag :o) I was pleasntly surprised that he noticed my pocketbook (I just read your blog, Lori. The word you don't like was there but I edited it just for you!) but kind of shocked (in a good way)that he referenced the Jetsons.

4 comments:
I've never seen the covers for Lucia, Lucia or Very Valentine Kathy. They're gorgeous! LOL at your nephew referencing Judy Jetson in regards to your tote. I guess some of the old cartoons are still on somewhere.
You should see what the publishers did with new covers for Jennifer Roberson's Lady of the Glen and the two Robin Hood books. They make them look like bodice ripping sex filled pot boilers when any sex in them is quite tame.
I was wondering if you had enough bags to fill 30 day's worth of posts :o
I'll have to check those out next time I'm at a bookstore.
LOL...I definitely have enough bags for a month of posts... much to the chagrin of my husband :o)
I've read both Morning Glory and Lucia,Lucia and thought they were both good but not great. I liked the covers better than the actual book in both cases.
Post a Comment