Thursday, July 16, 2009

16 of 31

Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer


Why am I posting this freaking awesome :o) video to my blog? Is it because it was voted by VH1 as #1 of The Greatest Songs of the 80s? Is it because Jon was so cute... and even better looking now? Is it because I think everyone who reads my blog should watch it? Is it because "Tommy & Gina" are the 80s version of Romeo & Juliet (well... without the tragic ending)?

The answer is YES... to all of the above! But mainly, because of the lyrics in the chorus...
We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Livin' on a prayer

I'm half way there... I'll make it- I swear.
I've made it half way through a month of blogging every day. I'm kind of proud of myself. Sometimes, it's easy to think of something to say. Sometimes, not so much.

My Favorite Reads is hosted by Alyce from At Home With Books every Thursday. What a great way to read reviews of books that were mainstream (or not!) a while back but have faded off the radar of what is "hot" right now in the land of literature.

My Favorite Read today is Griffin & Sabine by Nick Bantock. From the publisher's website... "But Griffin had never met a woman named Sabine. How did she know him? How did she know his artwork? Who is she? Thus begins the strange and intriguing correspondence of Griffin and Sabine. And since each letter must be pulled from its own envelope, the reader has the delightful, forbidden sensation of reading someone else's mail. Griffin & Sabine is like no other illustrated novel: appealing to the poet and artist in everyone and sure to inspire a renaissance in the fine art of letter-writing, it tells an extraordinary story in an extraordinary way."

Although the story is compelling, it's the voyeuristic act of touching and reading their actual letters that take this novel to another level. The reader cannot help but felt intimately connected to Griffin & Sabine. The art is spectacular but it was the prose that compelled me to read it several times as well as the other books in the triology which continue and complete their story.

My bag today is really a totebag but, because I love big handbags, I carried it as my purse (Sorry, Lori... lol). The colors are a bit more autumnal than bags I usually carry in mid July but it looked great with my outfit. I hadn't carried it in a while and had forgotten that there are deep pockets all around the inside. I'd throw things in the bag and they'd end up in the pockets. Yes, there was a frantic search today for my cell phone. Before I found it in one of the cavernous pockets, I thought I had left it in the pool bag... which was at home and I was at the bookstore.

4 comments:

Lori said...

I think you should post a video a day too! I'm enjoying this!!

Alyce said...

Very cute bag! I haven't heard of the Griffin & Sabine book, but I really like books that consist of letters and correspondence. So there are actual physical letters that you pull out of the book? If so, then that is a very original concept. I'd be worried about losing them though (or having my kids decide to play with them and then lose them). :)

Jo-Jo said...

Wow that was fun to watch that video again! I can't remember the alst time I saw it. But boy does he get better with age. I just saw Bon Jovi for the first time in concert last year, and he was jaw dropping gorgeous...wowza! lol

Kathy said...

Lori~
I'll try to post a video every day for a week. Since I did one on Wednesday, I'll post one each day through next Wednesday.

Alyce~
Yes, it's actual letters that you pull out of envelopes. Very voyeuristic :o)
If your boys are young, try The Jolly Postman. Same concept but for young readers.

JoJo~
I saw him last year, too. It was my first time... can you believe it? He was beyond beautiful!