Friday, February 5, 2010

5 of 28


FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"What fascinates me about life is that now and then the past rises up and declares itself."
U is for Undertow
Sue Grafton

This sentence doesn't say a lot but, in my opinion, speaks volumes. Without really knowing what this latest entry into the Kinsey Millhone series is about, this first line leaves me curious. Will this lead to what is, obviously, the main plotline or will it be recurring secondary plot that has permeated the last few books... that of Kinsey reconnecting with her estranged extended family?

I was so excited to find this hardcover mystery (it was just released on December 1, 2009) at the Friends of the Library bookstore. I was way, way down on the waiting list for this one. The best part... I only paid $6 for it! I was actually telling a friend at book club Tuesday night how I'm always finding recently released hardcovers at the FotL bookstore and buying them for way less than the cost of a paperback. I was there the next morning and found this... the latest Sue Grafton novel. Yay!


I decided that I like this picture so much that I made it my desktop background.

Because I'm numbering each February post, I've decided to post a picture of that number. I try to find a picture that somehow strikes me. For today's "5", I'm using a picture of Nicole Kidman in a Chanel No.5 fragrance ad. Yes, I know it's been retouched within an inch of its life, but I still think it's a beautiful photograph. She's wearing a diamond No. 5 pendant down her back and looks every inch the Hollywood Glamour Girl.

Today was Go Red for Women sponsored by the American Heart Association. I wore a red blouse as a symbol of the fight to end heart disease as the number one killer of women. Of course, my bag had to complement the blouse. Because I wore black jeans and boots with it, I chose to carry my Dooney & Bourke Medallion satchel. It looks great with that outfit and I really like the size. I even had the matching wallet, although I will be changing that tomorrow. I've been using for a while and was going to switch it out today but because it matched, I'll do it tomorrow.

No comments: