Friday, February 12, 2010

12 of 28

FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"I'm not sure where one should expect to find the bereaved daughter of a wealthy Malibu suicide in need of a trauma cleaner long after midnight, but safe to say a trucker motel down the 405 industrial corridor in Carson was not on my list of likely locales."
The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death
Charlie Huston

Considering I know next-to-nothing about this mystery...this first line, combined with the very interesting title, really pique my interest. This is the March selection for my mystery book club. It was chosen on the recommendation of one of our favorite authors, Craig Johnson. Enough said, really. If he likes it, I'm in!

It still works for me... the sly smile, the dimple and, of course... the hair!

My purse today was my Louis Vuitton Mini Lin Speedy 30. I'm too tired to go to my car and get my bag. So, this picture will have to do.

No comments: