Friday, February 26, 2010

26 of 28



FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"I disagree with you, Mr. President", Sam Brentwood said. "I think you're dead wrong."
Independence
Wagons West Volume I
Dana Fuller Ross


I actually included the second line because, combined with the first line, is a powerful way to begin a novel. I wonder how many people will disagree with a President duruing a conversation.

I chose this book because, after blogging about it yesterday, I decided to read it again. It's been close to, if not more than, twenty years since I first read the series. They'll be quick reads that I know I'll enjoy. I'm not sure I'll read the entire series but who knows...stranger things have happened... lol!

I thought I'd finish out my month of Bon Jovi pictures/videos with pictures of the "other" guys :o) who make Bon Jovi so FANTASTIC!!

Today was a "Triple Crown" handbag day! I carried three different bags. All of them, though, were the same style just different colors. Because I have to wear black to work, I always wear great accessories to make my outfit "pop". So, to work today... I carried my muted fuschia Target hobo bag that matched the jewelry I wore. I met some friends for lunch, and because I changed clothes, I changed bags. I used the black version of the same bag. Later, when I was in "Mom" mode...picking up and dropping kids off, I carried the same bag, but in brown, as I had, once again changed clothes :o)It's not really as crazy as you might think... and I know that's what you're thinking!

2 comments:

Misfit said...

I've looked at that series and thought about trying it. Not enough HF set in the US IMHO.

From One Thousand and One Ghosts by Alexandre Dumas,

"On the first of September in the year 1831, I was invited by one of my old friends, the chief administrator of the King's private land, to attend, with his son, the opening of the hunting season at Fontenay-aux-Roses.

Hmm, not much there but I have faith in M. Dumas :)

Kathy said...

It's a good series...definitely not great literature!

Enjoy M. Dumas!