
If you are a fan of book blogs like me, I'm sure you've heard of this novel. And, like me, I'm sure you've read all the positive reviews. This is a novel I've been wanting to read and was very excited to receive my hold notice from the library the other day. Being the dutiful library patron that I am, I checked it out and put in on the top of my TBR pile!
That same day, I received an email from The Tattered Cover, a local indie bookstore. Robin Olveira, author of My Name is Mary Sutter, was doing a signing/reading tonight. So, I went! Let me say that the drive to the bookstore really cemented the fact that I'm a suburbanite, through and through. This Tattered Cover is located on the "other" side Downtown Denver... an area that I don't usually frequent. To say I saw things I don't see on a daily basis is an understatement. Wow!
Because Robin Olveira is a debut author, there weren't a lot of people in attendance. Those who were there, though, were interested, respectful and thoughtful. Ms. Olveira spoke about her background and how Mary Sutter came to her. From her website... "Five years ago I had a vision of a young woman in shabby period dress seated at a trestle table, bent over the shaft of a brass microscope fitted with a slide, a shallow candle burning under its glass stage. The candle illuminated both the object she was studying and the walls of bookshelves filled with thick volumes, specimen jars and human bones. She seemed so hungry for knowledge. Who was she, I wondered, and what was she doing by herself in that lonely place at night? What were her disappointments, and to what lengths would she go to become the woman she wanted to be? Was she loved? I became worried about her; I had to find out who she was." She also read from her novel. I think that's my favorite part of author signings. I hear the love and dedication they put in their novels. She answered a few questions, including a few details about her next novel... a Russian peasant making his way to St. Petersburg and then to America.
I told her that I discovered her book on various book blogs. I asked her what she thought as book blogs as a marketing vehicle. She said that it was a sign of the times... that there are less "mainstream" outlets that will review books, let alone debut novels. Her publicists, she said, are young women who know the value of the internet to publicize her book. I also asked her what she thought of bloggers vs. professional reviewers... that most bloggers are just readers who review books for the love of reading. She said she appreciates the positive reviews and even the honesty of the (few, in my opinion) negative ones.

As she was signing my copy, I complimented the cover. She said she was very happy with it as she had nothing to do with it :o) She thought in definitely captured Mary. I think the doctor's bag is a necessary part of the cover but it's not a plain bag just as I know Mary is not a plain character.

While I was waiting to checkout, the bookmark caught my attention as they usually do. I've said before that I hardly ever walk out of a bookstore without a bookmark. Of course, tonight was no different. I chose "Lady in Black with Spanish Scarf" by Robert Henri.

My bag today was a black bag with brass studs. I wore a pair of black patent wedge sandals that have gold studs. The bag looked great with my sandals. Every time I wear these sandals, I get at least one compliment. I love them... I just wish they came in different colors!

3 comments:
Very cool, what a great experience. This is an excellent novel, but very emotional at times as well.
Wow. I wish they'd do book signings around here. If they do I never hear about them. The book sounds amazing Kathy and I'm going to look for it too and her next one also. I love stories of people going from one country to the other to make a better life. Heck, you know me I'll read just about anything.
How cool that you wer able to meet the author. I love that! I like that she mentions the not so positive reviews. As much as I respect authors and don't like to write mean things, sometimes it just wouldn't be honest if I wasn't negative. That's why I think authors should avoid reading all reviews ;)
Post a Comment