Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Favorite Reads... The Pillars of the Earth


Each Thursday, Alyce at http://athomewithbooks.blogspot.com/ features a favorite book from the past. I love this idea and often participate. You can, too! Don't forget to leave a comment on her blog with a link to yours.


My Favorite Read today is The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I thought about how much I love this novel as I was writing my Waiting on Wednesday post yesterday. I've read this book numerous times starting when it was first published in 1989. I've bought numerous copies to give to friends so they may enjoy it, as well.

There are so many reasons why I enjoy it. I've been to several English cathedrals that were built at that same time including Salisbury and Glastonbury. It is impossible to stand in those cathedrals and not be in complete awe of their beauty. To then consider the craftsmanship of the thousands who made it their offering to God is, literally, breathtaking.

The story, itself, is written in a style that I enjoy. Follett introduces many characters and alternates between them so that the action is fast-paced and stays interesting. The reader doesn't get bogged down in one character's story.

The Pillars of the Earth has one of the greatest first lines that has ever been written and you know how much I LOVE first lines... "The small boys came early to the hanging." If that doesn't evoke some emotion in the reader, I guess this book just isn't for you.


It's a miniseries and will premiere in July on Starz. We don't even have that channel but I'm ordering it just to watch it. It stars, among others, Donald Sutherland and Ian McShane, two incredible actors.


Almost twenty years after he published The Pillars of The Earth, Ken Follett wrote a sequel, of sorts. World Without End is also set in Kingsbridge (the original Pillars setting) but two centuries later and featuring descendants of the original characters. This novel can be read as a stand alone but provides a satisfying conclusion to The Pillars of the Earth.


My Bag today was my Liz Claiborne cheetah print hobo bag with a red patent strap. This is the only Liz Claiborne bag I currently use. There was a time, though, that Liz Claiborne bags were the "it" bags and I had plenty of them. We even returned early once from a camping trip so that I wouldn't miss the chance to purchase a bag I had put on hold. This was very early in our marriage and, even then, my husband indulged my love of handbags.

8 comments:

Alyce said...

You must have a very understanding husband! :)

I own Pillars of the Earth, but haven't read it yet. I've heard from many people though that it's a great read. Your post is making me look forward to it even more.

Lori said...

Ok, you peeking in my windows again?? Stop it.

I'm at work, looking at the books on the shelf and I see The Pillars of the Earth. I don't pick it up because it has that stupid sticker on the front, "Oprah's Book Club". I hate when people think you are readinga book because Oprah said to read it.

I went back, took it off the shelf and it's mine now. Not promising I'll read it anytime soon, but at least it's in my TBR pile.

Kathy said...

I hope you both enjoy it as much as I do.
Don't worry that it's an "Oprah" book, Lori...it's still great!

Karen in Texas said...

I want to read both of these now. Definitely looking for them the next time I'm at BAM. Please, please remind me about the mini series in July Kathy. It looks soooo good.

Bonnie said...

I read just about every Ken Follett book but never got around to reading those two. I'll have to get on the stick! Also I'm loving that bag! What Bon Jovi song are you listening to today?

Have a great weekend, Bonnie

Kathy said...

Karen & Bonnie~You both have to read Pillars... you'll love it!

Bonnie~ Funny you should ask about Bon Jovi. I heard "Wanted Dead or Alive" today on my way to meet a friend for lunch.

Cecelia said...

I had no idea that there was a miniseries coming out! I couldn't get into the book, but the DVD version just might hook me...nice pick!

If you'd like, you can check out my My Favorite Reads.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this one. I think we get Starz, so I'll have to look for the mini-series.