
I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.
“I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice – not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother’s death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.”
A Prayer For Owen Meany
John Irving

This is a no-holds-barred first line. It really lays the novel out for me. Irving's choice of the word "doomed" is definitely thought-provoking. You don't usually read that word as part of the first line.
This novel is only on my TBR pile because J is reading it next week. He tested into Freshman Honors English. Over the summer, he has to read Franny & Zooey by JD Salinger (already finished and he didn't like it), A Prayer for Owen Meany and the first 18 chapters of Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
I had no intention of reading this until I was discussing his assignment with a friend. When I told her about this book, she, literally, gasped. She told me it was her all-time favorite book. As we talked about it and she told me why she loved it so much, I became intrigued with it. From what I understand, at its core, it is a Chritian parable. I love that, at his Catholic high school, they will read and discuss this novel and everything that it encompasses. So, I will read it with him.
I was all set to purchase this book new but, as luck would have it, I found both a paperback and a hardback copy of it as the library book sale a few weeks ago. J will read the paperback and I read the hardback. I won't start any discussions about the novel but I will follow his lead and talk about it if he wants to.

The film, Simon Birch, is based on this book. I've already put it in my Blockbuster queue and we'll watch it when we've finished the book.

I used one of my favorite summer bags... no, actually, it's one of my favorite bags, period. I love carrying this purse on a hot summer day but I'm so paranoid about getting it dirty. So, I only carry it when I can "baby" it. Silly, I know, but I want to use it for many summers. Today, it only went to lunch with a friend and to the library. I picked up M's hold book, 39 Clues by Jude Watson
. I also talked with a librarian about a returned book on J's card. He is on an Arthur C. Clarke kick and checked out The Odyssey series a few weeks ago. He has read and returned them but one title keeps showing on his library record as still checked out. The due date had long passed but we weren't being charged any fines. I was told the book is in their system and it was just a glitch.

4 comments:
Owen Meany is wonderful. Lots of laughter, and a few tears as well.
The Ballad of Cat Ballou by Roy Chanslor,
"In the old days they used to sing about her, the lonely leathery men, on trail and open range, around campfire and chuck wagon, in the cabin and breakhouse."
Wow! What a first line. I'm hooked. Going to look for this one too. Oh and I found out that our big library sale is in November and is at the fairgrounds in Waco. I'm definitely going to go this year Kathy. Thanks for all the inspiration about books you give with First Line Fridays.
Kathy, your blog is awesome! I'm lining up some "first lines" to add. Look for me on Friday.
Owen Meany is one of the 50 that bloggers chose for me to read this year. Wish i had time to read it with you right now :(
Post a Comment