
I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.
"13 November 1918
Tension threatened to ruin what should have been a joyful reunion for two of the people in the ornate Yorkshire parlour; a mood dictated by the third, an attractive young woman."
A Complicated Woman
Sheelagh Kelly

What a prefect first line, don't you agree? It has everything... a great setting, a bit of a mystery (why is there tension?), and an interloper. How could I not be intrigued by this?!?
This is one of the library book sale books. I bought it for three reasons... the gorgeous cover (although mine is a cropped version... but still great), a line on the back ("Set in York and Australia between the World Wars...) and that it's 580 pages (I love "chunksters!). This novel is the perfect "by the pool" read.
I love reading by the pool because it's pure reading time. There's nothing else to do but sit and read... and, occasionally, dip my feet in the water. As much as I love to read at home, there's always that little voice that says there's a load of laundry that could be done, the dishwasher needs to be emptied... blah, blah, blah. At the pool, though, none of that can happen! I can only read! I love summer!We picked up M at her Outdoor Education camp today. She was exhausted, a little sunburned but surrounded by new friends. She had an amazing time! She fell asleep in the car and slept soundly until 7pm.

I carried my Kathy Van Zeeland leopard purse tonight to work. Two of the women complimented my bag. A has one almost exactly like it... when she saw mine in the locked cabinet, she thought, for a second, it was hers :D N loves KVZ bags and said she was a little jealous that she doesn't have a leopard KVZ.
Thanks to everyone who has found my blog through Jennifer's Book Blog Hop. Welcome to you all! I'm so happy that you like what I'm writing. Like most of you, I'm sure, I write for myself, first. I like having this place to put my thoughts down... especially about three of my favorite things... Bags, Books & Bon Jovi! But, it's fun to know that there are people who also like what I write and how I present it. And for me... it's so cool to find other book bloggers who share my taste in books. Even reading blogs that favor genres that I don't read can be interesting because of who is writing it. So, thank you reading my blog. As always, please leave a comment so I can read your blog!

No comments:
Post a Comment