Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"Graduations"....Really?

J "graduated" from Middle School tonight. M "graduated" from 6th grade last week.

I put the word graduated in quotes because I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that there's such a thing as an 8th grade and 6th grade graduations. Aren't students supposed to continue on to high school and middle school, respectively? Is a "graduation" ceremony really necessary? I only graduated from high school and college and even those were expected. I guess, when I was in 6th and 8th grade, it was just expected that you pass to the next grade... no ceremony, no certificate and certainly no "graduation" party... yes, there were 6th grade "graduation" parties.

This is not to say that I'm not proud of J& M. I am, I really am (said in my best Sally Field voice)! Honestly, though, why all the hoopla (great word, don't you think?)... wouldn't a trip to Dairy Queen on the last day of school suffice? I know it did for me... way back when!

5 comments:

Lori said...

First, congrats to both of the kids!!

Second, I know we had an 8th grade graduation, if you want to call it that, but we didn't wear caps & gowns like now. We wore dresses & the boys wore shirts & ties. We had a mass since it was a catholic school. That night I remember coming home, there was a few family members and a little cake. Not a whole party or anything huge like they do now. We didn't and don't have 6th grade graduation since our school goes from K-8 without moving to another school. It's a catholic school thing in our area. I like it that way.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!
Our school is a bit different. They still have a HUGE separation from 1-6 and 7-12. So we do have a graduation - no caps & gowns. Just an awards ceremony and a little talent time (there are only ~25 kids).
Anyway, I was so very proud of my first graduate. Though I do hate to say it - the others probably won't be as hard for me. 1- he's the oldest 2- this has been a difficult journey 3- he's going to drive very shortly... UGGHH!
Anyway, I agree it is a bit silly and the WHOLE family still had to go get ice cream - that's really all he wanted.

Kathy Martin said...

We had a 5th grade graduation at our school the other day. Our fifth graders switch to the HS building for sixth grade. We don't have an 8th grade graduation though because the kids stay in the same school. Personally I don't get the hoopla over graduations at all. Here the families have massive parties when kids graduate from HS. I just went out to dinner with my family and felt just as "graduated".

Tammy said...

I do agree-the whole thing seems kind of silly. Last year my daughter "graduated" from kindergarten to first grade-with a cap and gown. My son "graduated" from 8th grade to 9th-which is high school here.It seems like we have to have a ceremony for every little thing now a days. LOL!

Karen in Texas said...

Congrats to J and M both Kathy. Big accomplishments, graduation or not. Jessie passed to 6th grade this year and they had a little party for the 5th grade but she was just more about leaving early than staying for cake. Nicky did the same thing when he went to 6th grade. We had a *graduation from
8th to 9th grade when I was in school way back when but it was nothing special. We dressed up and had cake and punch and I think that was about it. Sometimes I think these graduations are more for the parents than for the kids anyway. I hate to admit it but I did get a little teary eyed at the thought of Jessie being in middle school with Nicky next year. The years have just flown by.