Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday


I know the rule for Waiting on Wednesday is to talk about a book that I am waiting to be published. I've done it before and, now, I'm doing it again :o) My WoW is a book that I'm on the waiting list at my library.

"Schemers" is the latest "Nameless" Detective novel by Bill Pronzini. There are forty titles in the series and I (think) I've read them all. They are written in first person so the narrator never reveals his first name. It's not gimmicky. He's not trying to hide it. Because of the first person narration, he says things like," I gave him my name" or "I introduced myself". It's very natural and I never felt like I really needed to know it. Or maybe it was like a good friend's name... you know it but don't feel the need to use it all the time.
Bill Pronzini is married to Marcia Muller. She writes the (also fantastic) Sharon McCone mysteries. They collaborated on "Double"... a mystery told from each detective's point-of-view. In that book, "Nameless" was called "Wolf" by Sharon because he's a "lone wolf". In some of her novels, Sharon mentions "Wolf". I love things like that. I feel like the authors are "thanking" the readers for reading both series.
My bag today was a Bath & Body Works pale turquoise bag. I kept the sides zipped so it carries more like a purse as opposed to a tote bag. I bought one for M to carry to school. She has decided that tote bags are very "7th grade" and as a 5th grade fashionsta, she must be on the cutting edge :o) I "borrowed" this picture because I'm lazy and the internet is easy.

I had my hair highlighted on Saturday. It looks great even though it's two shades lighter than normal... very summery! The new buzz word at the salon was sulfate-free (or is that two words?). I guess sulfates are very damaging to color-treated hair. I've tried salon brand shampoos and have never been impressed. So now, I'm looking for a moderately priced sulfate-free shampoo. I think I'm heading to Target tomorrow and trying L'Oreal Ever Pure shampoo. If anyone uses any other great sulfate-free shampoo, let me know!

2 comments:

Karen in Texas said...

I bet your hair looks fantastic. We need to see a picture of the new do.

Anonymous said...

I've not heard of this author, but the series sounds great :) I like books in the first person if they are done well.