
This is the second week of my First Line Friday. If you enjoy it, do it on your blog!The problem of deciding which book from my TBR pile I would use was solved when I came home and saw a package from Stacy. She sent a copy of Harlan Coben's "Just One Look" along with a really cute bookmark. Yes, I'm a book geek...I LOVE bookmarks! Thanks so much, Stacy! I've never read any of his novels. I've heard nothing but great things about them, though. Lori is a fan, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

FIRST LINE FRIDAY...
First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside.
So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book.
Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?
"Scott Duncan sat across from the killer."
Just One Look by Harlan Coben.
I know nothing about this novel. I haven't even read the dust jacket. This sentence really starts the book off with a bang. Does Scott knows the person is the killer? Who did he/she kill? Is Scott safe or is he being held, against his will, by the killer? For that matter, who is Scott? This is a great first line and I can see why Harlan Coben has a loyal following.

It's all about The Masters at our house this weekend. J is a HUGE golf fanatic...anything and everything golf! So, this is the be-all and end-all for him. Even the kids are fans. My favorite golfer is Rocco Mediate!
Go on, I know you want to say his name out loud! It's the coolest name ever! He's really laid back but can kick ass on the course. I would LOVE to see him take the Green Jacket on Sunday. He's in the clubhouse Friday with a -1, tied for 28th. J doesn't care who wins, as long as it isn't "Loser Lefty".

I carried a silver faux leather woven tote today. It was a Gift With Purchase from Clinique as you can tell from the silver "C" fob hanging from the strap. I wore a black tunic that has silver accents and this bag complements it perfectly. I just wish it had at least one pocket inside. There's nowhere to put my phone so I can find it easily. I also wish it had some kind of closure but, since it was free, I can't really complain. It's cute and goes great with the tunic I wore...so...it's all good!

5 comments:
Ok, I'm late on this but let's blame it on the busy weekend!
So here's my first line:
For thousdands of years, the Atlantic Ocean has beat against the beach of my childhood, its watery fingers stealing more and more of the soft silted sand, grabbing at the estuaries and creeks of the South Carolina Lowcountry, leaving us with detritus of old forests, battered dunes and bleeding loss.
from The Memory of Water by Karen White.
I thought this was a kicker of a first line and I really enjoy Karen White's books so I'm sure this one is going to keep me turning the pages too!
I almost forgot, congrats on your first Harlan Coben book! That was cool! Nothing like getting a little special treat in the mail! Let me know what you think of the book, I love his books and I'll be waiting to hear if you get hooked too!
Thanks, Lori. I even mentioned you when I asked for the book..."I would love to have the copy of “Just One Look” by Harlan Coban. My Friend, Lori, loves his novels. I’d like to see for myself."
She still has one book left. Check out her blog...see if it interests you.
That's a FANTASTIC first line. You've picked some great books...now you just have to do First Line Friday on your blog...even if it's late :o)
I'm glad that you received the book :) Happy reading.
Post a Comment