
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...
First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside.
So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book.
Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"Well, I suppose that settles it."
Silent in the Sanctuary
Deanna Raybourn
Honestly, not the most compelling first sentence I've read. However, I know this will be an amazing mystery. This is the second in the Lady Julia Grey series. The third one was recently published, so I need to read this one. The first novel, "Silent in the Grave" has one of the best opening paragraphs that I can remember ever reading. Even though, it's not in my TBR pile...:o) obviously. I just want to share.

"To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor."
Silent in the Grave
Deanna Raybourn
Isn't that great! How could you not be drawn in? The entire novel is fantastic read.

This is the cover of the third book and I am really disappointed. It looks like a "bodice ripper". Don't get me wrong...I love a good "bodice ripper". I belonged to a book club where we read and discussed romance novels. However, the Lady Grey mysteries are not "bodice rippers". The covers of these well-written mysteries should be just that... mysterious. While I was "googling" these book covers, I came across other versions. I can see that the publisher is going for a different look. This one, for "Silent in the Sancuary",
is defintely a better version of their new concept. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but, I think, this cover will miss the audience Deanna Raybourn is writing for... mystery readers.
Today, I carried my Dooney & Bourke tote. It has a subtle D&B logo and big enough to carry a book (a definite must-have for me. I always carry my book.).

4 comments:
Unfortunately I do go by covers sometimes. They do look like bodice rippers to me too Kathy. Hopefully sales won't drop but the publisher will figure it out.
I love that first lines from Silent in the Grave. Funny. It does make me want to read it!
That's an awesome first line! I might even give those a try when I manage to slim down my TBR pile. Ha, as if!
I'm one of the ones that does judge a book by it's cover. I don't really read the ones like the one you pointed out but if I saw it with the second cover, I'd go for it. Authors have to know that certain covers are a "stereotype" for books.
Here's my first line too....
It was the persistent sense of impending doom, not the nor'ester, tht made Natalie flee from Cape Cod back to New Jersey in the predawn hours of Monday morning. from Just Take My Heart by Mary Higgins Clark
It kept me turning the pages.
I love the way you put this one together, Kathy. I've got a three-in-one review of these books coming up in the next few weeks...I loved them. Couldn't agree more about the 3rd one's cover, by the way....it was just a put off, which is too bad because they are such great books. I love how you included the first line....the first line of the first book was just a hook, wasn't it!?
By the way, I happened to dig up another extra copy of Etta, and if you're still interested, shoot me your mailing address and I'll send it to you. :)
Post a Comment