Friday, April 24, 2009

First Line Friday, Gerald Kolpan & Thanks!


FIRST LINE FRIDAY...
First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside.
So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book.
Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"Among all the other things her father liked to call her, he could now add "thief".
Etta
Gerald Kolpan

This is a great first line! Not only did I hear it read by the author (more on that later), but, my first thought is that almost no daughter would want her father to know that she's a thief. As I'm sure you have noticed, I am very excited to hear this book. I'm getting highlights tomorrow. It's a long appointment and I'm going to read this fantastic book during most of it!

Gerald Kolpan did a book signing last night at a local independent book store. I love signings and try to attend when it's an author I love or, like last night, a new author I am excited about.

He is a great speaker... funny, engaging and informative. He allowed the audience to choose the two passages that he read. As he read, he almost "acted" the scenes. It was a refreshing change from some authors who deliver a very stilted read. As at most signings, the "movie" topic came up. While joking that he had not thought about the casting, he mentioned several names under his breath :o) So, while I'm reading this novel, I will try to picture Charlize Theron as Etta, Johnny Depp as Sundance, Christina Ricci as Della Rose, and my personal favorite casting... Giovanni Ribisi as Kid Curry.

I told him that I had read a lot of blogs that are raving about this book and even though, I'm in a bookstore or library, regularly, it was through these blogs that I discovered his book. I asked his opinion of this new (at least, to me) way of "advertising". He is happy with bloggers and feels that it is the best way for readers to connect with other readers. While he is very grateful for the wonderful professional reviews, he likes that bloggers are reading the ARCs and, as readers, getting the word out about first novels. He mentioned his website...www.GeraldKolpan.com...which, of course, I checked out. It's a great site with a lot of interesting information.

I have to say a huge THANK YOU to Michele at http://readersrespite.blogspot.com/ She sent an ARC of "Etta" to me. Michele, I didn't even realize that her head was cut off on the cover until you mentioned it. Still a great cover!It must be... it's taking over my blog :o)


I carried a navy blue belted hobo bag by Kathy Van Zeeland today. With the exception of one bag, all of my KVZs are this style. While some are "blingier" (is that even a word?!?) than others, this style is great. The "belt" gives the bag a great shape while holding in my stuff. I wish I say that about every belt :o) I bought this handbag mostly because it's a perfect navy blue. Like another Dooney satchel that I have, it's my "go to" bag when wearing jeans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Did I just say purse? I never say purse!

Karen in Texas said...

Wow! He sounds like a great author Kathy. I'm definitely going to be on the look out for this book. Thanks!