Friday, April 3, 2009

First Line Friday & Other "Pleasures"

I really enjoy reading blogs...especially one that are primarily devoted to reading. Posts like Teaser Tuesdays and Waiting on Wednesdays have caught my attention and I love participating through this blog.

I decided to start one of my own. I'm christening it "First Line Friday". I asked my friend, Karen, to design a graphic for it. With very little input from me, she came up with this PERFECT graphic! Thanks, Karen...you knocked it out of the park :o) So, here is First Line Friday...

FIRST LINE FRIDAY...
First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside.
So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book.
Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?


"The dam broke and Linda looked up and saw the bluff collapse, a waterfall of mud."
Pasadena by David Ebershoff

What a fantastic first line! If the rest of the novel is as good as this, I'm going to love this book. Family sagas always capture my attention and with a first line like that, I'm pretty sure I'll be sucked right in. I can't remember how I discovered this author...probably a blog...but it's on my TBR pile and now, having read the first line, I think I'll read it sooner rather than later.

I was able to have lunch with my friend, after having to cancel it Wednesday night, due to a snowstorm. We had a leisurely lunch and then went shopping. At Ulta, I bought Estee Lauder Pleasures perfume. I forgot how much I love that scent! For years, it was my "signature" fragrance and after today, it might be again.

My bag today was my black Coach Carly. On subtle logo bags like that, it's really the details that make it "pop". I LOVE the strap. My only complaint is that because of its shape, my things get lost at the bottom, so I feel like I'm always digging for something. Could be my fault, though, I carry a lot stuff...including the book I'm reading at the time.

4 comments:

Karen in Texas said...

You're welcome Kathy! I'm going to try my hand on doing First Line Friday. I'll have to see what I have around here to read. I ran out of books in my TBR pile. LOL.

Kathy said...

Oh, you should!

One of the great things about blogs is finding new books for your TBR pile.

Lori said...

As always, love the bag. I'm like you, I carry way too much but the second I take something out, it's the thing I need! And it always has to have enough room to throw in a book.

First Line Friday sounds good....even though it's Sunday. LOL

"All children make mistakes."
- The Bay At Midnight by Diane Chamberlaine

I'm on chapter 2 of this book and it's really good so far. Snagged me right away. Sometimes I think it's the first paragraph that gets you to know whether this is a good one and you are going to stick with it or if it's not quite your kind of book.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I love this post! I'm going to have to join in next time.