
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...
First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside.
So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book.
Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"Maisie Dobbs, Psychologist and Investigator, picked up her fountain pen to sign her name at the end of a final report that she and her assistant, Billy Beale, had worked late to complete the night before."
Among The Mad
Jacqueline Winspear
This sentence is very straight forward...much like the novels, themselves.
I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE the Maisie Dobbs series! I bought this book a few weeks ago but it's still on my TBR pile. Although, it's been "bumped" for other books, I know it'll be a real treat when I do read it. These books are, quite possibly, in my top five favorite series. Maisie is an amazing character but, better than that, the novels are so well-written. Jacqueline Winspear is an extraordinary storyteller. I blogged a while back that she was in town and I was going to see her. Luckily, I've seen her before because, I completely forgot to go. HUH? I am a slave to my day planner and it was written down. I could not believe that I had forgotten... it was in my day planner :o)
I met a friend for lunch today. I hadn't seen her in a while even though our kids are in the same class. We had a fun lunch at California Pizza Kitchen. It was not without a little drama, though. As I was getting out of my car, I felt the chain of the necklace I always wear fall away. I found the chain but could not find the Cross that was on it. After tearing my car apart, I started thinking it probably fell in my bra. Yeah, very surreptitiously, I checked...no luck. I was almost in tears. At home and after another thorough search of my car, I finally found the Cross in the pocket of my jeans.

I carried my black woven tote today. Even though it's huge and M says (every time...lol) "I can put my whole body in here", it's one I use a lot. My everyday bags have to be big enough to carry my book and this one could carry all the Harry Potter books with Gone With The Wind thrown in. Yes, its contents were dumped TWICE in the search for my Cross pendant. Had it been smaller, i would have probably felt the need to only check it once :o)

3 comments:
I'm so glad you found your cross! My bra would have been the first place I looked too! LOL I've done that!
I keep seeing that series and I'm going to add her to my authors to read list. Yes,that is a section in my little notebook that I keep in my pocketbook.
I hear you about the dayplanner and have found that sometimes, I have so much in there, I miss things. So I started adding things to the calendar on my phone. You can even set what time you'd like to be reminded and you'll get a little beep, or you can set it to no alarm and just seeing the calendar symbol on your screen might remind you to check it. Works for me!
I'd never heard of this series. Thanks for the recommendation!
Glad you found your necklace :) I used to carry bigger bags (like yours, but then I kept losing everything it there!
I *have to carry a big bag. I need to carry everything with me that I may possibly need. It's ridiculous. lol
Post a Comment