
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"Two thirty in the morning and it was sweltering."
Miss Fortune
Sara Mills
The author couldn't set the scene better that, could she? That sentence pretty much says it all. It's almost a cliche to start a mystery in the "sweltering" summer. However, in a good writer's hands, it can be the start of an intense story.
I found this title on another blog. The blogger gave it a great review and that intrigued me. After reading the first chapter on the author's website, I knew I wanted to read it. I listened to another book set around that same time period (1940s NYC)and was really disappointed. It was so heavy on period slang that it was distracting. I hope this one is better. There is a sequel... so that gives me hope. Although, any reader knows that just because a book has a sequel, doesn't make it something worth reading.
I love the cover, too... very retro. It goes along with the Rebecca cover I blogged about yesterday.
Hey, Karen (http://karenintx.blogspot.com/) ... thanks for doing "First Line Friday" for these past weeks! You rock, my friend!

My purse today was my black and white peace sign bag. Yes, I still feel like it's a bit young for me but it's cute and looked good with my outfit.

6 comments:
Here's a good one from Wicked Prey, the latest John Sandford I'm reading.
"Randy Whitcomb was a human stinkpot, a red-haired cripple with a permanent cloud over his head; a gap-toothed, pock-faced, paraplegic crank freak, six weeks out of the Lino Lakes medium-security prison."
Sounds like winner, right?
You're welcome Kathy. I'm really enjoying posting for First Line Friday. I'm not to good at getting in depth yet on it but I'm getting there. LOL.
Ooh, Kathy. I love your booklover quotes widget. So cool.
Wow, Stacy~~
That's...um...quite interesting, to say the least...lol.
I hope you enjoy the book.
Karen~
You can put the booklover's widget on your sidebar, if you want. Just click where it says "Get this widget" and follow the directions...easy peasy lemon squeezy ;o)
Julius, Daphne Du Maurier, "His first instinct was to stretch out his hands to the sky".
Post a Comment