
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"In my favorite portrait of myself, I am wearing an opaque eyelet dress, layered, with scalloped edges of the hemline barely whispering across the studio floor."
A Flickering Light
Jane Kirkpatrick
This is from the prologue titled, "Subjects". It is a wonderful first line! My favorite era to read about, right now, is the early 20th century. This novel is set in 1907 and this first line epitomizes that time period. I love it! There is also a picture of, I'm guessing, the main character, Jessi Ann. It is a perfect complement to the first line. It really gives me a sense of her, even before I read this novel. I also like that Jessi Ann has a favorite portrait of herself. It speaks to her self-confidence. According to the back cover, she is trying to become a photographer in a time when working women were not the societal norm. She needs to have that confidence.

I love summer and the bags I carry when it gets warmer. They are more colorful and fun. Since it's now past Memorial Day and I can carry white bags (yes, I'm "old-fashioned" like that), I carried this great floral bag with black trim. It is a beautiful bag with so many colorful flowers and cute little lady bugs and dragonflies. I bought it on Ebay a few years ago. When I received it, there was a note from the seller that there was a small mark on the bag and, because of that, he was enclosing a free matching wallet. What an unexpected surprise! It took me quite a while trying to find the mark. It was microscopic and on the back of the purse. How nice of the seller to include the matching wallet!

1 comment:
I've got this book on my wish list. And the bag is fun! I don't have a book right here or else I'd give you the first line!
Post a Comment