
This question is making its way around some of the book blogs that I read. It's a great question.
What book would you love to be able to read again for the first time?
I read this questions a few hours ago and have been thinking about it. I just can't narrow it down to one... so I won't :o)
In no particular order...

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
~ This was my first "grown up" novel. I read it the summer between third and fourth grade. It took most of the summer. I not only loved the story and Francie but I was so proud of myself for finishing it. The picture above is from my original copy that, I think, was my grandmother's. It was published in 1943, which is the original publication date but I think it's a book club edition rather than a first edition.

Little House on the Prairie series
~ I remember wanting to be Laura. I thought she had the best life. This was, of course, before I knew the realities of life on the prairie. The best thing about reading these novels was ordering them from The Weekly Reader and the anticipation of waiting for them.

Nancy Drew series
~ This was, like a lot of girls, my first introduction to mysteries. To this day, they are my favorite genre to read. Not only did she solve mysteries but she did it with her two best friends, Bess and George and boyfriend, Ned and in her cute blue roadster.

Rebecca
~ Where to start? This is a stunning read. It has everything...a great first line (and you know how I love first lines), a gothic setting, first person narration by the second Mrs. DeWinter, surprising twists and, best of all, Mrs. Danvers! I remember thinking how can this book get any better? And then, it does! Better and better until the climatic end. I've read this novel many times and as much as I love it, I'd love to read it again for the first time. I just googled to find a cover of Rebecca and found this one. Seriously... the BEST cover I've ever seen for this novel!! It completely embodies the story. I now want this copy!

I carried my Liz Claiborne black and white cheetah print hobo with deep red patent trim and handles. I hadn't carried it quite a while and it's been calling my name.

5 comments:
Great question and like you, I could never narrow it down to just one. When I first read the question, the one that popped into my head was Nancy Drew. There was nothing like those books when you first discovered them. They would be my young years choice. A little older, I remember going to work on the train and loving Sidney Sheldon and Danielle Steel. I just saw a copy of Thurston House at work and it reminded me how I loved those books. And at this age, I don't have a clue. There are just so many new and great books & authors. It would be hard to decide.
I was just looking at the cover of Rebecca! What a cover! And could you imagine getting a book for 35 cents? Wow! It would be really cool to find that book. I don't think I've ever read that book either.
Oh, Lori, you must read Rebecca. It's a classic! I'm sure your library has it.
I forgot about Sidney Sheldon. Not great literature but, boy, they sucked you in.
Love that cover of Rebecca. I'm going to reread that one as well, but first I'm working my way through the rest of her books. Damn, that woman can write.
Great book choices Kathy. You're definitely an eclectic reader. LOL. I can't even begin to think what book I'd want to reread first again. I'll have to think on it for a bit.
Post a Comment