
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"Picture a summer stolen whole from some coming-of-age film ser in small town 1950s."
"What I warn you to remember is that I am a detective."
In the Woods
Tana French
I chose the first sentences from the prologue and the first chapter because they are both very intriguing to me. Both sentences are dramatic in their own way. I like how the prologue is third person narrative while the first chapter is first person. I have a feeling the the prologue is the crime and the first chapter begins the investigation.
My thoughts on this novel...
The cover is horrible. Seriously, it looks like something a grade schooler would hand in. If we weren't reading this for book club, there is no way I would have picked it up. I checked it out at the library and accidentally reserved the large print edition. The cover of that is better...but not by much.

My friend who has almost the same taste in books, did not like this. She hasn't told me a lot of details because we're in book club together but i know that if she didn't like it, I probably won't either.
I have read some of the Amazon reviews and they are very mixed. I really hope I do like it as I hate wasting my time on a bad book. I do have a 100 page rule but because this is a book club book, I really try to finish it... whether or not it's a wall-banger. some of our best discussions are on novels we hated :o)
Get this?!? I "carried" the same bag two days in a row! Why, you ask? Because I was a total homebody today. Besides taking and picking up J and M from school, I didn't leave the house. Therefore, my bag from yesterday was still in my car. J has his solar cell car "derby" tomorrow... an all-day event so, I will definitely carry smething different tomorrow :o)

4 comments:
Hope the book isn't a snoozer Kathy. I'm like you and I wouldn't have picked this book up either going by the cover. Good luck to j on the derby tomorrow. Those are always fun to watch.
The cover is awful and I didn't like the book. I got this one from the library based on unbelievable reviews from some book boards. This book was their best book of the year on some of the members lists. I thought I was the only person in the world that didn't like it.
Lori~
No, you're definitely not the only one. I can't wait to hear my friend's comments at book club. She is a "no holds barred" kind of person.
I read & liked In the Woods.
Post a Comment