
From Amazon... "From rolling pastures in Lexington, KY to darkened alleyways in Newark, NJ, from Manhattan's posh '21' Club to a peculiar and mysterious landfill in Eastern Kentucky, and from Saratoga Springs, NY to the tiny island of St. Lucia, Shedrow portrays a collision of characters from many divergent worlds. High society and the racing elite, medical and veterinary specialists, mob figures, and Kentucky hill folk become entangled in this unique twist on the medical thriller.
Dr. Anthony Gianni, a prominent Manhattan surgeon, becomes involved in a racing partnership as a diversion from a thriving surgical practice and an ailing marriage. The excitement builds when the partnership acquires Chiefly Endeavor, a two-year-old colt with the breeding, the spirit, and enough early racing success to qualify for the Kentucky Derby.
When a new partner with an unsavory background appears and a breeder's nightmare becomes real, Dr. Gianni and a dedicated veterinarian must confront organized crime and solve a complex mystery that threatens to destroy both of their careers, and possibly a great deal more."
When I first requested this mystery to review, I had expectations of reading something along the lines of the Dick Francis horse racing mysteries I read in the 1980s. Besides the obvious horse racing backdrop... it could not have been more different. It is edgy, modern, sometimes violent but, above all... a fantastic mystery. I never read mysteries to figure them out... if I do, great... if I don't, fine, too. I just have to be able to look back and see the clues. Shedrow was the latter. I had no idea how it would end but the conclusion was so well put together that I am already looking forward to the next book in the series. I'm not sure there will be one... I've read differing ideas on that but my vote is to continue the seres.
Shedrow is a fast read but not one to be skimmed as Mr DeLuke is such a good writer. His dialogue was crisp and his descriptive passages set the scenes. I've never been to a race track but I could tour one after reading this mystery and, almost, know my way around. I'm not sure I'd want to hang around stalls with the horses, though... I'd rather be sitting in box seats, wearing a giant hat, sipping a Mint Julep and reading another taut, suspenseful Dean DeLuke mystery!

2 comments:
Great review Kathy. I really want to read this now. I'll definitely look for it when I get to the bookstore next week.
Any opportunity to wear fun hats is a great one for me. The mystery looks good too ;)
Post a Comment