
A NOTE FROM AN OLD ACQUAINTANCE by Bill Walker
From the author's website... "Brian Weller is a haunted man. It’s been two years since the tragic accident that left his three-year-old son dead and his wife in an irreversible coma. A popular author of mega-selling thrillers, Brian’s life has reached a crossroads: his new book is stalled, his wife’s prognosis is dire, and he teeters on the brink of despair.
Everything changes the morning an e-mail arrives from Boston artist Joanna Richman. Her heartfelt note brings back all the poignant memories: the night their eyes met, the fiery passion of their short-lived affair, and the agonizing moment he was forced to leave Joanna forever. Now, fifteen years later, the guilt and anger threaten to overwhelm him. Vowing to make things right, Brian arranges a book-signing tour that will take him back to Boston. He is eager to see Joanna again, but remains unsure where their reunion will lead. One thing is certain: the forces that tore their love asunder will stop at nothing to keep them apart.
Filled with tender romance and taut suspense, A Note from an Old Acquaintance is an unforgettable story about fate, honor, and the power of true love."
This is a powerful novel. It is so poignant and real. There were more than a few times that I had tears in my eyes. The characters were well-written as was the dialogue. One of my pet peeves is "stilted" dialogue... when authors use words just for the sake of using them, words that real people in real situations just don't say. Mr. Walker wrote dialogue that, not only moved the story and developed the characters, but read (yes, I sometimes read dialogue aloud) as if it was a normal conversation.... just the way it should.
The main character, Brian, is an interesting choice. This novel would have been completely different, and, honestly, not as good had Mr. Walker written a female protagonist. From Brian's perspective, I felt his loss differently... I'm a wife and mother. I know how I'd feel if I lost my husband and child. To read this love story from primarily a man's perspective, just showed, very simply, that love is love.
The flashback to 1991 was an important tool in understanding the characters' motivations. I was surprised that, having read that portion of the novel, some of my opinions about certain characters changed... that, to me, is a bonus as I read. It's a difficult task, I believe, to change my mind about a character but Mr. Walker did so with necessary scenes and dialogue, especially in the flashback. I've read other authors who don't delve into a character's psyche so I don't know (or sometimes care)why they do what they do. Definitely not the case in A Note From An Old Acquaintance, I still didn't like this character but I completely understood why he did what he did.
Just a few notes about the book, itself. The cover art was so fitting. I kept flipping back to it as I read and realized what I was reading about was pictured on the cover. I am also appreciative that Mr. Walker took the time to personally inscribe my copy. I'm a dork like that...lol... I LOVE personalized copies of books. Also, without giving anything away, make sure you turn the page after you've finished the book. It's details like this that make a novel memorable... and ultimately, re-readable. Okay, I know that's not a word but but I know you know what I mean! I also love reading dedications and acknowledgments. Mr. Walker dedicated his novel to "All Loves Lost... And Found". How appropriate! He also acknowledged a woman "for attempting to kill my excess commas." LOVE that as I find myself using a lot of commas... and ellipses... see what I mean :D
I look forward to reading more from this author and have already checked out his website (www.billwalkernovels.com). Titanic 2012 looks really good... I might just have to review that another time :D
~~Thanks to the author, Bill Walker, and Dorothy at www.pumpupyourbookpromotion.com for providing this novel in exchange for my honest and thoughtful review.~~

4 comments:
I'm glad that you liked it. I enjoyed it as well. I'm looking forward to picking up Titanic 2012 when the revised version is released.
Kathy: Thank you for your very kind and eloquent review. It's very much appreciated.
I read and reviewed this back in February and loved it. As for "Titanic 2012", I was honored when Mr. Walker entrusted me with the revised manuscript to read and review, and I can honestly say, it was phenomenal!!!
CMash
Ok, I have to add this one to my list! Sounds great!
Post a Comment