Friday, September 10, 2010

September 10 of 30



I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.

"If there's one thing I've learnedin the past fifteen years, it's this: that murder is really no big deal."
Gentlemen and Players
Joanne Harris


This is why I love first lines! Are you kidding me?!? This is an AMAZING first line!! I bought this book, mainly, because of the cover and the storyline, of course but, wow, this first line moves it right up the TBR pile! How can I not want to read it? I sure hope that the rest of the novel lives up to the first line.


I carried my black Vera Wang satchel today as I had a bunch of errands to run and it's perfect to carry all the odds and ends that accumulate on a day like today. The handle stitching is coming apart(again, darn it!) so I'll take it to a different repair place next week. I love this bag and want to carry for years to come.

2 comments:

Misfit said...

You do have a lot of bags, don't know how you do it. I'd go nuts switching them back and forth :)

Marianne and the Lords of the East by Juliette Benzoni

"Driven by the strong arms of its four and twenty rowers, the gilded caique was literally flying over the smooth waters of the Golden Horn."

Bonnie said...

Hi Cheryl, love that first line, very intriguing!

Have a great Sunday, Bonnie