Saturday, September 4, 2010

September 4 of 30



Well, Friday "got away from me" as they say. So, First Line Friday is happening on Saturday. I hope you don't mind :D
I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.

"Glastonbury
In the eightieth year from the Adventus Saxonum

I am in my ninetieth winter, the oldest man in the western lands."

The Killing Way
Tony Hays


Great, great first line. This is, from what I know, how someone would describe their age if he lived in Arthurian times. He definitely would not say, "I am ninety years old." This tells me, from the start, that the dialogue will be historically accurate.

I also love that it sets the story in Glastonbury. A lot of the Arthurian legend takes place in Glastonbury. We've been to Glastonbury. It really is a mystical place. I'm sure just knowing the myths and legends attributes to the feel but I really felt a "vibe". Weird? Probably. We also went to Stonehenge and Avebury on that trip and I loved all the history. I'll never forget walking down a path, after breakfast and seeing an albino peacock. It was an amazing sight. This is not my picture but my pictures are in an album and it's too late to find them. When we told the lady who ran the B&B where we stayed, she was very nonplussed. Apparently, the peacock was a town fixture. How very cool is that!

I found this mystery on Amy's blog... http://www.passagestothepast.com/. She offered it in a giveaway... which, sadly, I didn't win. However, my friendly neighborhood library had a copy ready and waiting. It's now in the TBR pile. It looks to be a quick read.


I carried another white bag today. I've only a few days left and it was about 95° today... perfect summer day to carry a white bag. I even carried it to Old Chicago tonight. My son and I went to dinner. It was just the two of us as my husband was with his sister and M went to a party. I love one-on-one time with each of my kids. J and I talked about how he likes high school. He's attending a Catholic high school with a fairly rigid dress code. He's okay with that although he's not so thrilled that his hair can't be longer than his collar. We've told him that he'll get a fantastic education here which will lead to a full (cross your fingers) scholarship at his first-choice college which will allow him to get his dream job at NASA... which, as far as we can tell, allows longer hair. See, how a Mom can "spin" just about anything...LOL!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

One day I would like to visit Jane Austen country. I am also entranced by Arthurian legend so enjoyed reading your post.

I am a product of a strict Catholic school upbringing...that is until sophomore year when I transfered to public school. Big difference and frankly it was a culture shock!

Loving your bag, Bonnie