Monday, September 20, 2010

September 20 of 30



Musing Monday is hosted by Miz B at Should Be Reading.

Today's question... What makes you love/hate a character in a book?

As they say, there's a thin line between love and hate. A great author, in my opinion, can elicit both emotions from me with well-written characters. I have no probalem hating a character. It just means that the author has struck a chord in me. A character that I hate but that I think was very written and "fleshed out" is Regan Hamleigh from Pillars of the Earth. She is evil and lacks a conscience allowing her to manipulate all those around her to get what she wants. I hate the character but love the way Follett wrote her.

The worst kind of character, to me, is that one I just don't care about. The characters in The Kite Runner are such. There are many reasons that I hated this novel... I know, I know... I'm probably the only one who did.. but, the characters held absolutely no interest to me. They were poorly written, they were caricatures and their outcomes were so obvious... even from early on in the book.

My bag today was just my wallet. I didn't go anywhere except to drive J and M to carpools. I usually only take my wallet with me, as sometimes there are four kids in the car as well as all their accompanying backpacks, lunchboxes, hoodies... well, you get the picture :D

No comments: