
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?
Prologue
"He dressed the boy's body whilst it was still warm."
A Small Death in the Great Glen
AD Scott

My first thought about this first line... eewwww! My secoond thought about this first line... love the word "whilst'! My third thought about this first line... I always find it intriguing when a story begins with the murderer's perspective.It makes for an interesting read.
I found this mystery at B&N. To spend a while in a bookstore, by myself, perusing (great word... don't you agree?)the shelves is truly one of my most favorite things to do. We've been kind of a reading rut in my mystery book club. We've been reading multiple books by some authors. While that's not a bad thing, we really need to expand our reading horizons. There are far too many great authors that we have yet to read. I mentioned this book in book club the other day and it was decided we would read it in the near future.

I carried my large black Coach Carly today. I had dinner with two women that I hadn't seen in ten years. We were in a playgroup even before M was born. And as things happened, we gradually drifted apart as the kids entered school. I re-connected with L as J's school... her twins are sophomores there. G, another playgroup mom, was there and we shared pictures and stories of our kids. In my mind, these kids are toddlers and preschoolers. To hear stories of football practices, driving tests and Homecoming dates just reminded us what great kids we have! We had such a fun time and, definitely, plan to get together again... and again... and again.

2 comments:
"Old Man Hedstrom bore a harrowing tale."
Well, that's a short one. Book is Red Mountain by David Lavender. Set in SW Colorado.
Sounds like you've found yet another great read Kathy. I'm hoping to get back to the library to find some more reads there too but I'd love to go back to BAM all by myself but with our string of bad luck lately I just haven't been able to afford to go. I love hearing how old friends reconnect and its just like picking up from the last day you saw them. Glad you've had that too.
Post a Comment