I haven't meant to have these long breaks in my blog. Life, however, is a different story. Not only did the holidays come and go as they always do but we dealt with the passing of my husband's father.
W, my father-in-law, had been in failing health for probably the last year or so. In the last six months, though, it became increasingly worse. He was hospitalized right before Thanksgiving and passed away a few days after New Year's Day. In the end, though, it was his decision to end care. He passed peacefully with our family by his side.
W was a brillant scientist. Without a doubt, he was the smartest person I have ever known. He held many patents for inventions that I cannot even begin to understand. Some of his inventions were used on the Viking Mars probes as well as in other space programs. He also "invented" mathematical calculations that are being taught today at universities around the world. Honestly, to say he was smart is an understatement.
Our family is gathering for his funeral and while I love to see my husband's brother and his family, I hate that it is under these circumstances. I dread the funeral, though. I remember the day of my Dad's funeral. I was almost physically ill getting ready. I just kept thinking how utterly inane it seemed that I should be "doing" my hair and deciding what shoes to wear on that day.
I hope my husband, his brother and my mother-in-law find peace on a day when it's needed so much.
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I've been wondering where you've been. I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. He sounds like a truly gifted man. My thoughts will be with you and you family.
Thank you, Stacy.
I'm making an effort to get back to the blogging world. I've missed reading all the blogs I follow... especially yours :o)
Post a Comment