
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"On the day of the tragedy, the boys of Windfield School had been confined to their rooms."
A Dangerous Fortune
Ken Follett
Well, that is just a fantastic first line! Without even really knowing what this book is about, I am completely sucked in. I have to know what the tragedy is and why the boys are confined to their rooms. I love Ken Follett. I think he is a great storyteller. This novel has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while. I moved it to my "official" :o) TBR pile on my nightstand about a week ago. For some reason, I'm wanting to read BFBs, so my pile has quite a few of those. I know that a book by Ken Follett will be an entertaining read.
I carried an olive green "Motorcycle" inspired handbag today. This picture definitely does not do this bag justice. It has wonderfully smooshy, smooshy leather:o) It has a lot of wrinkles and veins. My favorite thing, I think, are the tassels. Why do tassels on a purse always make me happy? Something to ponder....

2 comments:
After Pillars of the Earth you'll never get me to read another Follett book again :p
"They came riding out of a glaring sunset, with the feshening wind at their backs - a coach and six mad horses, sending up clouds of dust to rival the high white ones scudding over their heads."
The Gilded Cage by Elizabeth Layton.
You're definitely not alone about Pillars of the Earth. I think it's readers either love it or hate it.
Thanks for participating in FLF :o)
Post a Comment