
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?
"At his desk, Amos Hines turned over the last sheet of the two-page legal document he'd been instucted to read."
Roses
Leila Meacham
The first thing that gets my attention in this first line is the name Amos. I really like that name and am already hoping that this Amos is main character and will be around for a long time. Other than that, though, this first sentence isn't really that exciting... not that that's is a bad thing, like Seinfeld says. I'm sure some of the most beloved classic novels have less than stellar first lines. Although, I'm kind of wondering what is in that legal document.
I'm very excited to read this book as I've really only heard good things about it. I've read other book blogs that mention giveaways for this book but I can't find any. Even though I have the library copy right now, I think I'd like to have my own. I can't renew it as there's a waiting list. I'm not sure I'll finish it in the allotted time as I have two book club books to finish. Also, because, I've read such great reviews, it seems like a book I'd like to pass along to my friends as well as read again some day. If you are hosting a giveaway or know of one, please leave a comment, I'll definitely enter!

4 comments:
Don't worry the book reads very quickly (at least it did for me). I know what you mean when you get a BFB out from the library and you can't renew it.
From The Marsh King's Daughter by Elizabeth Chadwick (a reread),
"It was a glorious May morning in the world at large - soft, balmay and harmonious."
Good to know!
I will probably start it tonight.
I entered a few giveaways fofthis book awhile ago, but nothing recently. I can't wait to read it, although I'm not a big fan of the name Amos ;)
I've "started" it. I checked out the CD and am listening to it in my car. So, far, so good. The narrator, who can definitely make or break it, is very good at different voices.
I'm still on the library list for the actual book.
Post a Comment