Friday, January 15, 2010

First Line Friday & National Hat Day


FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"I was on the second floor of a three-story walk-up on Chicago's North Side."
The Chicago Way
Michael Harvey

Definitely not the most exciting fist sentence but this debut novel has been likened to classic Noir novels of the past. It doesn't surprise me, then, that the first sentence is very staight-forward and to-the-point.

We are reading this mystery for my February book club. It's received great reviews and I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll probably start it tonight.

There is a quote in the front of the book that explains the book's title. It's taken from The Untouchables. I adore Sean Connery so, thanks to YouTube, here is the scene...

Today, January 15, is National Hat Day. Why is this significant? Because we held a private funeral service for my father-in-law today. There will be memorial service Sunday at the church where their family were members for over 50 years. He always wore a Fedora when he was in public. I can't even think of a time when I saw him without one. He wasn't a vain man who wore a hat to cover baldness. He was just of that generation of men who believed it was proper etiquette to wear a hat when in public. He was quite dapper, actually. I find it very fitting that his funeral held on National Hat Day :o)


I carried my Dooney & Bourke black satchel today. I felt I needed a very sedate black bag for the funeral and this one was the first one I pulled out of my purse closet.

3 comments:

Misfit said...

Nice to see these back. No one is doing FLF anymore.

"Young Einar Trygve Peersen VI, known by his middle name, or "Tryg" for short, was pumping air into the reed organ at the Ballard First Lutheran Church of America.

Seattle by Charlotte Paul

Kathy said...

Wow! That name's a mouthful.

Thanks for participating.

Anonymous said...

I love when I see older men in hats. Of course, I love to wear hats so that's no surprise :) How very fitting for your father-in-law.