Friday, January 27, 2012

First Line Friday



FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?



"I'm a dead man."

Pieces of Sky
Kaki Warner

I discovered this book through one of my favorite blogs... Misfit's "At Home With A Good Book and the Cat". Here's her post... http://misfitandmom.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/pieces-of-sky-by-kaki-warner/
She often reads obscure (at least, to me)novels and more often than not, I'm placing a library hold on them. She has a blog "voice" that I enjoy.

Getting back to the first line, though... I think it's a great "hook" and will definitely draw me in. It's also the first line in a trilogy. I LOVE trilogies! There's just something about knowing that once you turn the last page, there are still a few more books! Even though, I never read them back-to-back-to-back...lol...it's comforting to know that they are waiting for me!

1 comment:

Misfit said...

Thanks for the nod, somehow I missed this post last weekend. I hope you enjoy these as much as I did. They were a lot of fun.