
I LOVE Teaser Tuesday.
Grab your current read.
Let the book fall open to a random page.
Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
"On the mayor's walnut desk, in addition to a copy of all fifteen of the city's newspapers, was a set of blueprints. These depicted a soaring suspension bridge, anchored by two gigantic but marvelously thin towers."
The Interpretation of Murder
Jed Rubenfeld
page 86

This teaser really says nothing about the crux of the novel, the murders of young society girls and Sigmund Freud's only visit to America. It does, however, speak to another aspect, and one of my favorites, the architecture and atmosphere of 1909 New York City. As I have read and listened (more about that later) to this novel, I am enjoying the vivid descriptions of the city at that time. Even this cover... not the one I have, though... shows an iconic NYC building.
From Amazon.com..."It has been said that a mystery novel is "about something" and a literary tale is not. The Interpretation of Murder has legitimate claims to both genres. It is most definitely about something, and also replete with allusions to and explications of Shakespeare, to the very beginnings of psychology, to the infighting between psychoanalytic giants--all written in a style that an author with literary aspirations might well envy.
In 1909, Drs. Freud and Jung visit Manhattan. They no sooner arrive when a young socialite is murdered, followed by another attempted murder, bearing the same characteristics. In the second case, the victim lives. She has lost her voice and cannot remember anything. The young doctor, Stratham Younger, who has invited Freud to speak at his University, soon involves Dr. Freud in the case. Freud, saying that Nora's case will require a time commitment that he does not have, turns her over to Younger. The rudiments of Nora's case are based on Freud's famous Dora, complete with sexual perversions, convoluted twists and turns and downright lies.
That is just one of the myriad plot lines in the novel, all of which are intricate, interesting and plausible. All it takes for all of the incidents to be true is a great deal of bad will--and it is abundant here! There are politicians who are less than statesmen, city employees at work for themselves and not the city, doctors who will do anything to undermine Freud's theories, thereby saving the neurotics for themselves, and opportunists at every level of society, seeking psychological or material advantage. Carl Jung is portrayed by turns as secretive, mysterious, odd, and just plain nuts, while Freud remains a gentleman whose worst problem is his bladder.
Not the least interesting aspect of the book is all the turn-of-the-century New York lore: bridge building, great mansions, the Astor versus Vanderbilt dustup, immigrant involvement, fabulous entertaining, auto versus carriage. Despite the tangle of tales, debut author Jed Rubenfeld finishes it with writerly dexterity--and the reader is sorry to see it all end. --Valerie Ryan"
As I said, I'm listening to this as well as reading it. I listen to quite a few audiobooks in my car. I put both the audio and book version on hold and they came in at the same time. So, I listen to it in the car and read from where I left off... works for me. The narrator is great and I think I've heard him before but I can't figure out what novel it was. I even googled his name and nothing familiar showed up.
I found a book trailer with the author, Jed Rubenfeld. I enjoy hearing about how authors create their novels.

My handbag today was my huge black woven purse. I switched my day planner and my wallet to Dooney & Bourke. They are both fairly large items... bigger than average, really so a bigger bag works best. Although, I think a big bag works best on any day.
Ahh, March in Colorado... yesterday, my son wore shorts to school... tomorrow, school's cancelled because of a snowstorm that, since 6:30pm, has left nine inches in our yard. The forecast calls for about five more inches. The forecast at our house calls for a snowfort in the backyard :o) My kids are in HEAVEN!!! Both stayed up way past their bedtime to read. M is reading The Lightning Thief and J finished 2001: A Space Odyssey.

6 comments:
I got chills when I was reading your teaser today Kathy. I really need to see if I can find this one at my library. It sounds so good. How is M liking the Lightening Thief? I think those were Nicky's favorite series and what actually got him back to reading for fun. We hated to see that series end. I think I loved it as much as he did. The movie was really good too.
I think I might give this one a try, being a native New Yorker.
Love your new look, too....beautiful!
This sounds fascinating. I'm not a big mystery reader but you've got me adding it to my TBR list. Sounds a little bit like The Alienist.
On a side note, I used to work in that building! I always pull up short when I see it in pop culture (which is A LOT it turns out). I was 3 floors from the top, on the left-hand side, about 3 windows back from the point (my boss had the pointy office).
Karen~
I'm really liking this book. You should definitely see if your library has it. M loves The Lightning Thief. J read the series a few years ago and, like Nicky was sad to see it end.
Missy~
You'll enjoy it. Thanks for the compliment on my new blog background. I like to change it quite often.
Carin~
It reminds me a lot of The Alienist... not as dark, though.
That is WAY TOO COOL that you worked in that building!!
They funny thing about working in that building is how difficult it is to make office space out of triangles. Luckily it's a right-angle triangle so some people have rectangular offices but on the hypontenuse side of the building, a lot of the furniture has to be built-in and custom. My boss had the pointy office. I sat in a hallway but I did have a view of the Chrysler building (if you put your head up against the glass).
"Luckily it's a right-angle triangle so some people have rectangular offices but on the hypontenuse side of the building,"
I don't know if I could work in a buiding where I had to do geometry just to get to my office... ROFL!
Post a Comment