Friday, March 5, 2010

First Line Friday & Fine Art


FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"Generale Taddeo Bottando walked up the staircase covered in stolen works of art slightly before the of San Ignazio struck seven in the morning, as usual."
The Raphael Affair
Iain Pears

Two things really stand out about this first line. The first being the part about the staircase covered in stolen works of art. Because this novel is about art thefts, it's not beyond the realm of possibilty that the police would showcase the art before it's returned to the rightful owner. The second thing that catches my attention in this first line are the words "as usual". I can make a fairly educated guess that the rest of his day will be any thing but "usual".

This novel is the first in a series. I just learned about this series from my friend, L. It's a new "sub-genre" for me. I read a lot of mysteries ( a lot...lol) but I've never read one set in the art world. I LOVE art and, although, I feel fairly knowledgable, I look forward to learning more.

I have to say I love this cover. I am drawn to paintings of women. My favorite artist is John Singer Sargent. My absolute favorite painting of his is "Mr & Mrs Isaac Newton Phelps Stokes.. I have it in my sidebar as well as a print above my nightstand. I've toyed with the idea of purchasing an oil or glicee print to hang in either my living room or bedroom.



His most notable subject was Madame X. This painting was considered very scandalous in its day. The combination of the provocative dress, the off-the-shoulder strap as well as the stark white of her skin (it was rumoured that she ingested arsenic to achieve that look)created a furor at the 1884 Paris Salon that threatened to ruin both artist and subject. While googling images, I found this picture of Sargent painting it as well as Julianne Moore's contemparary take.


I have several framed Sargent prints in my guest bathroom. I also use the Sargent calendar every year. I hang it on the fridge but NEVER write on it. It's really just art for my kitchen. I have saved several prints from the calendars. I want to hang them in the hallway to the bedrooms. I have every intention of matting and framing them. What I don't have is a creative gene. I know it's really just a quick trip to Michael's. I know it's not a great excuse but it's all I have :o)


My handbag today was my black motorcycle bag. At one point or another, I've contemplated which bag I would carry, if I had to carry only one. This could, possibly, very possibly, be it. Although, if you ask me tomorrow, or next Wednesday or a week from Thursday... I'm sure my answer would be different. Thank Goodness, I NEVER have to make that decision!

2 comments:

Misfit said...

Oh, I love those paintings, thanks for sharing. And speaking of art books mine is from Claude and Camille by Stephanie Cowell.

"Dull late afternoon light glittered on the hanging copper pots in the kitchen where the old painter sat with his wine, smoking a cigarette, a letter angrily crumpled on the table in front of him.

Kathy said...

That's a FANTASTIC first line! Thanks for "playing" :o)

I read about that novel on your blog. It looks so good. I look forward to review so I can add it to my TBR pile.