Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Favorite Reads

Each Thursday, Alyce at http://athomewithbooks.blogspot.com/ features a favorite book from the past. I love this idea and often participate. You can, too! Don't forget to leave a comment on her blog with a link to yours.


From Amazon... "In "Heart of Texas", Debbie Macomber's six-book series, readers are taken to the ever-popular state of Texas to share in the lives and loves of residents in the ranching community of Promise, Texas."

I love to read books that are part of a series. Each novel focuses on the romance of one couple but, because it's set in one community, the end of that book is not the end of their story. Couples are mentioned in future books as well as tidbits about their life... children, jobs and, sometimes, how they help the main charecters in the next book get together. There is also some foreshadowing. Characters may be mentioned in one book but their love story does not take "center stage" until a few books later. There are many times when I've finished a book and wondered about the future of characters or hoped I'd see a compelling character again. With a series like this, it's a complete "package". These were quick, easy reads and by the end of The Heart of Texas series, I felt like I knew everyone's story... start to finish. Apparently, I was not the only one loved Promise, Texas. Debbie Macomber wrote a novel to take readers back to Promise and give us one more glimpse into the lives of characters we loved.


I carried my huge zebra bag today. It is kind of an off-white and black bag. I'm not trying to fool people into believing it's "real" zebra :o) but whenever I see a zebra (or for that matter, any animal print) bag with colorful handles and/or trim, all I can think is how that is so not natural. Yeah, and my bag is ...NOT... ROFL!!!Oh well, I like it.

4 comments:

Alyce said...

This looks like a really fun light read! I know what you mean about loving series - I've had times in my life where I've read romance series as a nice escape from reality.

Karen in Texas said...

Boy I'm behind. I've read a few of the Promise, Texas books and really liked them. I didn't realize she was still writing them either. I'm going to have to see where I left off and get caught up.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Oooo I think I need a zebra bag :)

Happy Blog Hoppin' Friday!
-Juju
Tales of Whimsy.com :)

Kathy said...

Alyce~
They are defintely fun and light. Like you said... sometimes, that is a good thing!

Karen~
She's not writing them anymore. I think the last one was published in 2000. She has a lot of other series, though.

Juju~
You most definitely need a zebra bag! Just don't get one with colored handles and trim...lol!