FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?"Ladies and gentlemen. For my final illusion I will perform a feat that will amaze and astound you—a feat never before attempted in the history of magic, a feat fraught with danger and horror.”
The Last Illusion
Rhys Bowen
How fun is this first line? When I think of Houdini and other illsionists that were so popular at the beginning of the twentieth century, this line is exactly what I imagine one would say. I can almost see the handlebar mustache and the black cape!
Oh, by the way, while I was book blog hopping, I found another blog that does a version of "First Line Friday". If you love first lines and I know you do, check out Carin's "Book Beginnings" at http://carolinebookbinder.blogspot.com/ "Book Beginnings" was started at http://pageturnerbooks.blogspot.com/... Thanks for the correction, Carin. I definitely want credit to go to the correct blog!
This is the latest in the Molly Murphy series. From the Macmillan website.. "Irish immigrant and PI Molly Murphy is thrilled to have a ticket to the theater to see a trio of illusionists that are all the rage. Indeed, headlining is Harry Houdini, the most sensational of them all; he has just returned from entertaining European kings and queens for a brief run on Broadway.
But before Houdini can even take the stage, the opening act goes horribly wrong and to the crowd’s shock the illusionist saws into his assistant. In the aftermath, the stunned performer accuses Houdini of tampering with the equipment he keeps under lock and key. And he’s not the only one critical of “The King of Handcuffs.” Risking his life every night, Houdini has raised the stakes to such a perilous level that he’s putting lesser acts out of business.
With everyone on edge, Houdini’s wife hires Molly to be part investigator/part bodyguard, but how can she protect a man who literally risks his life every night? And how is she going to uncover whether these masters of illusion are simply up to their tricks or if there truly is something much more treacherous going on.
With sparkling wit, charming characters, and historic detail, multiple award winner Rhys Bowen brings early-twentieth-century New York City and the fantastic performers of the time vividly to life in The Last Illusion."
I really like this series. One of my favorite mystery sub-genres are novels that feature a strong, independent female protagonist in the early 1900s, usually in New York City or on the East Coast. There are several series that come to mind... The Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson, The Deadly Series by Brenda Joyce, The Sarah Woolson Series by Shirley Tallman (although these are set in San Francisco in the 1880s, I still count them) and the Fremont Jones Mysteries by Dianne Day (although these are also set in San Francisco and, I think, out-of-print). Also, to some extent... The Thomas & Charlotte Pitt Mysteries by Anne Perry as well as the Kate Ardleigh & Charles Sheridan Mysteries by Robin Paige. The latter two are set in England in the 1880s but English mysteries are a subject for another day as I simply adore (said in my best English accent) British mysteries. If you've read and enjoyed other mysteries like these that you'd think I'd also enjoy, please let me know!

Today is our 22nd wedding anniversary! It's been snowing all day but, on our wedding day, it actually looked like this picture... a glorious Spring day! How did my husband wish me "Happy Anniversary"? By singing this beautiful anniversary song, of course! I think he loves me as much as Fred loves Wilma :D

My bag today had to brave the elements, because, in Colorado on March 19, it could be sunny and warm or, like today snowing, foggy and freezing. I chose my Kathy Van Zeeland leopard satchel with a lot of "bling". I wore my black leather jacket... love it but kind of boring and I wanted a "pop" on such a dreary day. This bag was perfect!

4 comments:
Thanks for the shout-out! But to be honest, the meme is from Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/. I'm not sure why she didn't post it today. I'll get in touch and see if she's giving up the meme or perhaps just busy or traveling.
I meant to add that in the post... so sorry! I was watching a movie while I wrote it :D Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I fixed the post.
Happy Aniversary Kathy!! I hope you and hubby have another wonderful 22 years ahead of you.
Thanks, Karen!
Post a Comment