Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Day Late...

FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"Ronald Evering was in his study, watching a mechanical toy bank go through its motions, when the idea first came to him."
A Matter of Justice
Charles Todd

Of course, the thing that grabs my attention is... what idea?!? This is a mystery so this as yet unnamed idea could be anything! It could be the idea of who to murder, how to murder this person, when to murder... well, you get the idea. It also could be
an idea that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot. It's a very intriguing first sentence.

First Line Friday on a Saturday? Well, that's intriguing, too, isn't it? Not really... I had every intention of doing it on Friday but the day just got away from me. I decided to do it today for a few reasons...
~ Karen at http://grabitgraphics.blogspot.com/ made another fun First Line Friday graphic that I wanted to use.
~ I left my blog link at Jennifer's blog... crazy-for-books.com. She's hosting a Book Blog Hop and I hope other bloggers will read this and maybe want to participate :o)
~ I like my "meme" and want to share first lines from books in my TBR. As the "meme" says I love first lines!


My bag today was my vintage (I still smile when I use that word... vintage...really?) Dooney and Bourke rouge AWL satchel. It also makes me smile when I look at this bag as it has aged beautifully (wouldn't it be nice if we all did!). It looks almost brand new and the patina'd handles are the perfect caramel color.

1 comment:

Karen in Texas said...

Hi Kathy. I've got 2 books to send you this week. One is Bedlam a Novel of Love & Madness by Greg Hollingshead. I already told you about that one. I got about half way through it and just couldn't plod through it. I hope you'll be able to enjoy it more than I did. My Mom and my sister both read it before I did and liked it. The other I really liked and got from them too. It's called The Scold's Bridle by Minette Walters. It's a murder mystery set in England and its really good. Once I got into the story I didn't want to put it down. I'll probably get it in the mail to you Wednesday.