
FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

"The fancy-dress theme was refuse and waste paper."
The Shoe Queen
Anna Davis
Not quite the first line I imagined for this novel. It actually took a second reading and forcing myself not to read ahead, to figure out what this meant.
I love the idea of a fancy-dress ball.
I picked this book up at the Friends of the Library bookstore. As I've mentioned before, I read the back, then checked to see if it was in the stacks. This one wasn't, so, I bought it. I love the title, although, I'm definitely more of a handbag girl (see blog title...lol), how could I pass on this novel? The covers (both front and back) are perfect. The book "immerses readers in the glitter and excitement of 1920's bohemian Paris"...from the back of the book...and the covers have that feel. There is a beautiful woman on the back who, in my opinion, is very reminiscent of Angelina Jolie in The Changling.

I also found another book by this new-to-me author. It's called The Jewel Box and set in 1920s London. I placed an order with my library and, hopefully, they will purchase it. I really like that era and novels with strong heroines have always appealed to me.

I'm so happy it's finally warm enough to carry some of my summer purses. They've more color and usually, a lot of texture. Today, however, I chose a white hobo bag. I love white bags in the summertime. They epitomize the hot, carefree days. There are silver studs on the side of the bag as well as across the strap so, it's not as plain as some white bags. I think every woman should have a white bag for summer.
I don't think you need to spend a lot. Find a cute one and wear it through Labor Day... or longer if you follow Clinton and Stacy's rules. Don't worry about a little dirt...bags are made to be worn. Besides, baby wipes work wonders... just don't scrub too roughly. Believe me, carrying a white bag on a hot summer day will make you smile!

4 comments:
Oooh, those look interesting. Off to Amazon to find out more....
"I remember the station." Heh, short one this week lukcy me. The House by the Dvina Eugenie Fraser.
My fav first line would be from Anna Karenina " Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
I love that cover art Kathy. I hope the book is as good as the cover looks.
Shona~
I have not yet read Anna Karenina..it's in my perpetual TBR pile :O) but that's a great first line. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment