Thursday, June 4, 2009

Booking Through Thursday


“This can be a quick one. Don’t take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you’ve read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.”

1. The Scarlet Letter
2. Pillars Of The Earth
3. In Cold Blood
4. Maisie Dobbs
5. Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less
6. Lucia, Lucia
7. A Great Deliverance
8. Gone With The Wind
9. A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
10. Lonesome Dove
11. Rebecca
12. Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret
13. Morning Glory
14. Outlander
15. The Handmaid's Tale

Great BTT! There are so many that have stuck with me but those are the first ones I thought of in the 15 minutes allowed.

J, M and I went to the library today. Our favorite librarian was there. We love her!She turned J on to a book called The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. They both loved it and are eagerly waiting for the sequel, Catching Fire, which should be pulished in September. It's not yet in our library system but Allison said she would put J's name on the list, even before her own, when it hits the system.

I checked out two holds... In The Shadow of Gotham by Stephanie Pintoff. It is set in NYC in 1905. I have said before that period, especially in mysteries, is my favorite. This debut novel has gotten great reviews and the author recently signed a two book deal featuring the same detective.


The other novel is Dust and Shadow by Lyndsay Faye. It is also a debut novel getting great reviews. There are blurbs from Caleb Carr and even the Conan Doyle Estate. The premise? Sherlock Holmes's attempt to hunt down Jack the Ripper. I'm not necessarily a Holmes or Ripper fan but that story is always intriguing and a different take on it may be a good read.

My bag today was my Louis Vuitton Speedy 35... not the best choice to take to the library. It's handheld and I had a tote bag full of books. But, I have two healthy children so I pawned the tote bag to each of them at different times and carried my Speedy. It's too beautiful not to be the center of attention.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Love the covers of the books! I'm one of the ones that does judge a book by it's cover!

I love the bag too, it's got my name all over it, well my initials anyway! LOL If only they were made in purple. LOL

15 in 15....I can't do that!

Anonymous said...

Are You There God It's me Margaret and Outlander would be on my list. This is a fun question. Didn't make a list of my own, but I love looking at everyone else's!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Out of your list, I've read In Cold Blood and Are You There God?
I started Gone With the Wind but never finished it.