
I love getting packages in the mail! Today, it was two books from my friend, Karen. She sent the first two books in the Tales of London series by Lawana Blackwell. I read The Widow of Larkspur Inn by the same author. It was a very light read and I enjoyed it. Karen and I were discussing it and she decided to read the author's other series, which she also enjoyed. I received an email the other day that the books were on their way to me.
Karen, thanks so much! I'm I will love them as much as I loved the one I read. The covers are fantastic. The dresses are beautiful.

FIRST LINE FRIDAY...First lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?
In honor of the books I received today and that have been added to my TBR pile, my First Line Friday comes from The Maiden of Mayfair by Lawana Blackwell.

"The privilege of joining Mrs. Abbot's weekly forays to the green grocer's was granted with the understanding two rules be obeyed without exception."
Well, of course, I hope that the next sentence will explain those two rules. These novels are fast, easy reads that are perfect for me after I've read something darker.
M jus
t came to me yelling "Flabbergasted, Flabbergasted, Flabbergasted!" Flabbergasted is her favorite word :o) Every time she sees it in print, she has to let us know. I think it's very cute. Right now, she's reading Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox.How many of us actually have a favorite word? Do you? If you do... I'd love to hear what it is!

I carried my black and white zebra bag today. I love that bag more every time I carry it. I think it also helps that I get compliments every time!

7 comments:
I love a light read on occasion, especially after a darker one as you mentioned :)
Mistress of Mellyn Victoria Holt,
"There are two courses open to a gentlewoman when she finds herself in penurious circumstances," my Aunt Adelaide had said "One is to marry and the other to find a post in keeping with her gentility."
Ah, favorite words! I love "P" words, like perhaps. But I hate PURSE. Hate that word. LOL
Oh I wish I could think of the word but Greg was studying the other night and I quizzed him. It was on the plant and animal cells and I LOVED one of the words. I kept asking him the def. just so I could say it over and over.
Yeah! I'm glad you got them so quickly Kathy. You're really going to enjoy them I think. I fell in love with the whole household before I even got halfway through the first book.
M is so cute. I love that flabbergasted is her favorite word.
As for my favorite word it'd have to be scrumdillyicious. I'm not sure of the spelling but I first ran across it when I was a kid and read it in either Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or the Glass Elevator. It's just one of those words that describes the most ecstatic moments in life I think.
Karen~
Thanks again for the books!
Scrumpdillyicious is a GREAT word!
Lori~
Why do you hate "purse"? It's a wonderful word :o)
I have to tell you that every time you say "pocketbook", I smile!
I can see how that zebra bag would grow on you after awhile. I just found your blog today and I LOVE it! I am also a HUGE Bon Jovi fan and I love the pics that you have here of him.
Thanks, Jo-Jo!
Welcome to my Blog :o)
Post a Comment