
Did you read my post about Dancing at The Chance? I hope you did and I hope you took the opportunity to go to http://www.deannacameron.com/Contest.html and enter Deanna Cameron's contest to celebrate the release of this great novel.
This book has everything that I love in historical fiction... early 20th century New York City, the theater, descriptive passages that transport me into the story, well-written characters who behave appropriately for the time period but, most of all... a feisty heroine who doesn't always abide by the social conventions of her time.
Ms. Cameron is a new-to-me author. I was very impressed with the way she told Pepper's story but I felt she paid special attention to the dialogue. She wrote it to really further the story. It is a deal-breaker for me to read dialogue that is written as a filler... definitely, not the case with Dancing at The Chance! There were almost entire scenes written as a conversation between characters. Now, I know I'm not an author but I think that would be a difficult thing to write properly. I appreciate that care she took to craft those scenes. I guess dialogue-filled scene pull me into the story more effectively than narrative prose.
I am so happy that I received this bound copy as I think the cover is simply beautiful. As much as I love ebooks (especially having so many books in such a small device that I can carry in my purse!), I feel that the cover is such an important part of the novel... and with ebooks, you miss out some gorgeous covers. It sets the tone for the story. It really made me happy to see this stunning cover on my nightstand or tucked in my bag.
~~Thanks to Deanna Cameron for sending me a copy of Dancing at The Chance in exchange for my review.~~

1 comment:
Thank you, Kathy, for the wonderful review! It makes my writer heart happy to hear that you appreciate the dialogue. That element is so important and can often be overlooked. I labor over (and over, and over) it, and it's just great to hear that it was a highlight for you.
:)
Post a Comment