Saturday, July 24, 2010

Saturday Spotlight on a Sad, Sad Day


Lori at Lori's Reading Corner hosts Saturday Spotlight. From her blog...
Welcome to the Saturday Spotlight, where each week we will have a chance to showcase something new. It will be the place to gather, talk and shine the “spotlight” on all things book related. Not to mention a place to discover new to us authors, characters, series and places.
Each week I will pick a new theme for us to share our favorite of, and every once in a while I’ll make it a “readers choice” week where you can spotlight whatever you want.
Some of the different things we’ll be spotlighting are our favorite book, author, female/male character, location, murder weapon, series, other book blogs, giveaway sites, places to get our books and just about anything else book related.
This week my spotlight is shining on my......

Favorite Culinary Cozy Series...

I don't read a lot of culinary mysteries but I did like the Eugenia Potter mysteries by Virginia Rich.

From Wikipedia...
Virginia Rich (1914 - 1985) was a mystery author who pioneered the 'culinary mystery' sub genre.
In three novels written 1982 to 1985 she introduced sleuth Eugenia Potter, a widow and chef who divided her time between a ranch in Arizona and a small town on the Maine coast. The books included recipes, the hallmark of what has come to be called 'culinary mysteries'. Several years after her death her family approached mystery writer Nancy J. Pickard to complete an unfinished manuscript, producing The 27 Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders, published in 1993. Pickard went on to write two more novels in the series, based on Rich's notes.
Eugenia Potter Mysteries
by Virginia Rich...
The Cooking School Murders (1982)
The Baked Bean Supper Murders (1983)
The Nantucket Diet Murders (1985)
created by Virginia Rich, written by Nancy J, Pickard...
The 27 Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (1993)
The Blue Corn Murders (1998)
The Secret Ingredient Murders (2001)

I liked Eugenia Potter. She is cut from the same cloth (cheesecloth, maybe...lol) as other elderly female amateur sleuths... Miss Marple, Mrs. Pargeter and Jessica Fletcher come to mind. You know, they play up the innocent, sometimes, even bumbling persona yet they are smart, intuitive and keep a close eye (even though they may not appear to) on the suspects until the end when, with all the evidence in hand, they solve the murder. Along the way, though, Eugenia finds time to make some great food with recipes included. If memory serves (wow, I'm getting good with the culinary references)... she invited the suspected murderer to share the food while she questioned them... probably determining their guilt over the main course...lol.


Four years ago today, my Father passed away. Because he proudly served our country as a Military Police Officer, he is laid to rest in a National Cemetery... a beautiful and fitting place for him. In his honor, please take a moment to remember all those brave souls who have served and are serving our country.

8 comments:

Loren said...

Praying for you as you remember your Daddy. I understand as I just lost my Dad this past December. May your thoughts, memories and love bring you comfort as you remember him!

Kathy said...

Thank you, Loren.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your sad day :( What an honor to be buried in a national cemetery.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Praying here as well.... anniversaries can be filled with memories. *hugs*

Bonnie said...

Hi Kathy, I love a great cozy mystery and I have never heard of this author so I must investigate!

Also, I lost my father in '04 and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him. Saying a little prayer for you and your dad.

Bonnie

Kathy said...

Thank you, Stacy.

Kathy said...

Thank you, Sheila, for your kind words.

Kathy said...

Bonnie~
I hope you can find the original Virginia Rich books as I think they are out of print.
My thoughts are also with you.