Friday, July 23, 2010

First Line Friday...Finally!


I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.

"Chance alone brought her into his orbit."
This Body of Death
Elizabeth George

In seven words, Elizabeth George pretty much proves why she is, most definitely, one of my favorite authors and a master storyteller. How can you read that first line and not be completely and totally drawn in and curious as to what happens next?

I don't mind first lines that are longer in length. When an author uses only seven fairly ordinary words to craft such an amazing sentence... not to mention first line... well, it makes me happy that I'm a fan of hers.

I had coffee today with my friend, A. While I was waiting for her, I read my book. Of course, the conversation turned to books... as it usually does. I turned her on to Elizabeth George mysteries a while ago. We really hadn't seen each other since then and wanted to reconnect before school starts (we will be carpooling together to two different schools). I was eager to hear how she liked the Thomas Lynley series, knowing she had read a few. I even brought with me a few copies that I had purchased at the Friends of the Library book sale for her. Imagine my surprise and happiness when she told me she LOVED them!! She was actually reading "In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner"... the tenth one!!! Honestly, I just told her about them in May. Can you say... Thomas Lynley fan :D Everything that I love about these mysteries, she does, too! I'm hoping that Elizabeth George makes it to Denver for a book signing as I'd love for A to come with us (my friend, L, and I have seen her a few times).

We also discussed Craig Johnson and A wants to go to that dinner/signing, as well. I love that she and I have so much in common. Did I mention she also love purses as much as I do...lol!

I didn't blog much... okay, at all... this week. I can't say that there was really any reason other than that I didn't have anything to say. I could have participated in "memes". I usually do "Teaser Tuesday". Sometimes, I do "Waiting on Wednesday" and "Booking Through Thursdays" but this week it just didn't come together. The only time I need to blog is when I try to blog every day for a month... which I did in July 09, February 10 and this past June. Even then, I usually have a theme or a topic or a "prompt" to help me if I get stuck. This week, though, I just didn't even try...lol. Hopefully, next week I'll have more to say.


I carried my purple Vera Wang hobo bag to meet A for coffee. We met at a great coffee shop that's located "in" at outdoor shopping district, close to both of us. It was a fun way to spend a Friday morning. She carried a bright, multi-colored patchwork tote. I know it's bad, but, honestly, I look at a woman's purse before I look at what she's wearing. We sat outside and people watched as we talked. I love looking at what bag a woman is carrying and imaging what is inside. Silly, yes... but we all need a hobby :D

5 comments:

Missy B. said...

The first thing I look at are handbags, too. I attended a Paperbackswap meeting this week, and a girl came in carrying a bright beautiful handbag. I accosted her immediately! LOL Turns out it was a Coach that she had gotten at one of their outlets. Then, we traded books!

Misfit said...

The Castaway by Aaron Fletcher (about New Zealand)

"The wind freshened near dawn, and the rustle of palm fronds and the pohutukawa trees among the clearing awakened Tairata."

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I like that opener...and I'm now going to have to explore this author.

I do love your tote, and I, too, adore purses. Haven't bought any new ones in awhile (the economy!), but I still have some I love. I, too, notice bags first thing!

If you go to my Handbag posts on Friday at http://rainysnowyobsessions.blogspot.com, you'll see my Dooney & Bourke giraffe bag!

Here's my opener:

http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/book-beginnings-on-friday-14/

Anonymous said...

It's harder to blog in the summer. I just want to be outside doing something. Of course, it's been over 90 more than half the days in July here so I've been stuck in the air conditioning ;( I swell up as soon as I walk outside in the heat!

Bonnie said...

I had been thinking, we haven't seen much in the way of handbags lately!

Bonnie