Thursday, July 15, 2010

I Love Book Blogger Hop... Even on Thursday!


From Jennifer's blog...
ATTENTION!!!!! ATTENTION!!!!! ATTENTION!!!!!

NEW BOOK BLOGGER HOP TWIST!!
It's Thursday and Jennifer at http://www.crazy-for-books.com/ has posted her weekly Book Blogger Hop a little bit early!
ABOUT THE HOP: This is a weekly event, hosted by Jennifer at http://www.crazy-for-books.com/, where book bloggers and readers can connect to find new blogs to read. It's a great way to network with other bloggers and make new friends! Every day I seem to find another book blog that I start following. In the spirit of the Friday Follow, I thought it would be cool to do a Book Blogger Hop to give us all bookies a chance to connect and find new blogs that we may be missing out on! It will also give blog readers a chance to find other book blogs that they may not know existed!Your blog should have content related to books, including, but not limited to book reviews.If you start following someone through the Hop, leave a comment on their blog to let them know! Stop back during the week to see other blogs that are added! And, most importantly, the idea is to HAVE FUN!!

OPTIONAL TWIST: On your blog hop post, tell us about some of the other great blogs you've found while Hopping around! DISCLAIMER:The Hop isn't just for you to throw your link in there and not visit any other blogs. It's all about networking and finding new blogs that are of interest. So, in the spirit of the Hop, try to make some time to visit other blogs and don't post your link if you are not planning on visiting other blogs in the Hop that week. This is a weekly event, so if you don't have time this week, that's fine! We'll see you next week!If you sign MckLinky, please share the love and POST ABOUT THE HOP ON YOUR BLOG! How else will anyone else find out about it and come join the party?Please check out her blog for a list of great book bloggers! Leave a comment so they know you've visited because of Jennifer's Book Blog Hop!

The Hop is going to start having a CRAZY twist each week, to get to know each other a little better! Each week, I will ask you a question that you will answer on your own blog hop post on your blog - just a way for us to interact and get to know one another! So, when you enter you blog link below, make sure YOU LINK DIRECTLY TO YOUR BLOG HOP POST for the week!!

We are getting to know our Book Blog Hoppers! Please answer the following question in your blog hop post!

In your blog post, answer the following question (new question each week!):
RIGHT THIS INSTANT, WHAT BOOK ARE YOU DYING TO GET YOUR HANDS ON (PAST, PRESENT, OR FUTURE)?

There are three books that I'm very excited to read...
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.
From Publishers Weekly... "Starred Review. Science journalist Skloot makes a remarkable debut with this multilayered story about faith, science, journalism, and grace. It is also a tale of medical wonders and medical arrogance, racism, poverty and the bond that grows, sometimes painfully, between two very different women—Skloot and Deborah Lacks—sharing an obsession to learn about Deborah's mother, Henrietta, and her magical, immortal cells. Henrietta Lacks was a 31-year-old black mother of five in Baltimore when she died of cervical cancer in 1951. Without her knowledge, doctors treating her at Johns Hopkins took tissue samples from her cervix for research. They spawned the first viable, indeed miraculously productive, cell line—known as HeLa. These cells have aided in medical discoveries from the polio vaccine to AIDS treatments. What Skloot so poignantly portrays is the devastating impact Henrietta's death and the eventual importance of her cells had on her husband and children. Skloot's portraits of Deborah, her father and brothers are so vibrant and immediate they recall Adrian Nicole LeBlanc's Random Family. Writing in plain, clear prose, Skloot avoids melodrama and makes no judgments. Letting people and events speak for themselves, Skloot tells a rich, resonant tale of modern science, the wonders it can perform and how easily it can exploit society's most vulnerable people."
** This is an amazing story.... that one woman's cells have spawned research and cures while her family never knew. I don't usually read non-fiction but I think this will read like a novel.**


~Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
From Amazon... "Fall of Giants is his magnificent new historical epic. The first novel in The Century Trilogy, it follows the fates of five interrelated families-American, German, Russian, English, and Welsh-as they move through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for women's suffrage."
**I love Ken Follett novels. Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorites. Combine the family saga with it being the first in a series and I'm in!**


~Murder on Lexington Avenue by Victoria Thompson
From Publisher's Weekly... "In Thompson's fine 12th mystery set in turn-of-the-20th-century New York City (after 2009's Murder on Waverly Place), Det. Sgt. Frank Malloy investigates the murder of Nehemiah Wooten, who was bludgeoned with a loving cup Wooten won for sculling at Harvard more than 30 years earlier. A follower of Alexander Graham Bell's views on eugenics, Wooten was opposed to two deaf people getting married on the grounds that such unions would produce only deaf offspring, an attitude that earned him an enemy within his own home. Wooten's attractive 16-year-old daughter, Electra, who could not hear, was hoping to marry a deaf teacher. When Malloy visits Wooten's pregnant widow and her water breaks, he calls in midwife Sarah Brandt. Thanks to her access to the victim's household, Sarah proves invaluable in helping him uncover the killer. While the psychology of the crime is less complicated than some might prefer, Thompson does a solid job bringing the past to life."
**I will pretty much read any mystery set in this time period...late 1880s through the early 1900s with a female protagonist. This, I think, is one of the better series in that sub-genre. I've read them all and enjoy not only the mystery but the character development.**

**And if you've found my blog, through The Book Blogger Hop... Thanks, I'm happy you found me! I love new visitors! Please leave a comment for me... I'd love to visit your blog, too.**

5 comments:

Cara said...

Hi! I'm Cara--stopping by on the hop! I love your blog background, very cute. :D

Diana said...

Stopping by from the Hop! I heard about Henrietta Lacks' story just recently. Pretty amazing! Sounds like the book would be very interesting. Have a great weekend!

Diana @ Book of Secrets

Lover Of Romance said...

Just stopping by for the hop!!! Hope you are having a fun week!!!

Happy Reading!

Bev Hankins said...

Stopping by from the Hop. I, too, love historical mysteries set in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Victoria Thompson is very, very good!

Whitney said...

The Immortal Life of Henrieta Lacks looks very interesting. I hope you have a fantastic week!