Friday, July 16, 2010

First Line Friday & Blonde... Again!


I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.

"This Street Is Impassable, Not Even Jackassable."
Measure of a Lady
Deeanne Gist


Of course, this first line made me laugh... as I am sure it's supposed to. It also reminds me of a street on the way to my OB/GYN called Jackass Hill Road. Can you imagine that as your address?

This is the first book in my TBR pile by this author, Deeanne Gist. I've heard great things about her so I look forward to reading her. I don't read a lot of Christian fiction as some of it is "hit you over the head" with its message. I don't like that. I like Christian fiction that gets its message across in a subtle way. I mean... I know I'm reading it, I know ther will be a message so there's no reason to pound it in. It's not like at the end of the book, it'll dawn on me what I'm reading... you know?

I have to mention the cover as it actually reminds me of what Laura, Mary and Nellie wore on Little House on the Prairie... a dress with petticoats and "good ol' workin' boots". Cosidering this novel takes place in San Francisco during the Gold Rush, it's a safe bet that that exactly what women wore.

I am completely blonde (with gorgeous highlights!) once more...happy dance! I let my roots go a few weeks longer than I should have and today I remedied that. I had an early morning appointment to bring back the blonde. It looks fantastic... I have a great colorist! Of course, she's probably not even 25 and probably thinks I'm delusional for staying blonde :D Honestly, I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking this is my "real" color. It's just that my "real" color is "mousy" brown in its truest definition... BLAH!! I don't even mind the grey hairs and I would let it go natural if the natural color was a striking brown instead of this "meh" color.

I used two purses today... one at the salon and one for the rest of the day. My salon bag was my black quilted tote. It was large enough to hold my water bottle as well as my book. I have to bring a book... it's two hours of almost uninteruppted reading time... bliss!


My other bag was my black and white zebra bag. As much as I love this bag, the inside is a big black hole. Anything that goes in is lost (seemingly forever) until I launch a furitive search to find it. Usually, I'm looking for my keys and ,usually, I'm doing this as I walk to my car. I'm sure it's rather humorous to watch as I try to juggle my shopping bags and dig into the black hole that is this purse! You'd think if it caused a problem like this, I'd just quit using it. A smart woman would...lol! But, I guess that's just not me... sometimes it's form (okay, fashion) over function!

5 comments:

Karen in Texas said...

Love the first line. I'm going to try to use that in conversation today. It'll go perfect with my brother's sense of humor. Again, you always find the best books Kathy. You really should tag them as a Kathy Recommended Read. ;)

Oh and I had a dream tonight and you were in it. Why? I don't know but somehow you and my sister Cheryl knew each other. Crazy huh?

Misfit said...

I liked this book, and didn't find it preachy at all.

Men on White Horses by Annette Motley,

"Downstairs, the ballroom pulsed at the heart of the castle."

West Coast Beach Wife said...

"My Imperial life began with a smell."
Empress Orchid
Anchee Min

Highly intriguing. Pulled me right in, just like leaning in closer to hear what a person has to say. -Westie

P.S. Your bags ROCK! I tried blonde once for a sumer and it was fun. :-)

Kathy said...

Karen... what a funny dream!

Misfit... I love first lines like that! Glad you're enjoying the book.

Westie... thanks for joining in. Feel free to take the great graphic and post it to your blog! I LOVE your thoughts on your first line1 That what First Line Friday is all about!
I think my bags ROCK, too... lol! Thanks for thinking so, too!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about Christian fiction as you do. Look forward to seeing what you think if this one. I've heard good things about the author as well.