Friday, April 30, 2010

First Line Friday


Today is First Line Friday! I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny? Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.

"Much to the shock of his family, Mr. Singh rather enjoyed delivering newspapers."
Old City Hall
Robert Rotenberg

Because this is a murder mystery, I have a feeling that Mr. Singh will be finding a body while he's delivering newspapers and I'll bet that his family will be a lot more shocked about that.

I received information about this book from a publisher's email. I subscribe to quite a few and always get great book suggestions. This debut mystery was one of them. Because it's written by a debut author, I picked it up at the library. I'm not really loving the cover but it says "Amazing..." ~ Nelson DeMille. I love his novels so I hope he actually liked this book and didn't just write a blurb as a favor to someone as sometimes happens in the publishing world. On the back cover, there is also a blurb from Douglas Preston. His novel, Monster of Florence, is very, very good!

I have high hopes for this mystery and will definitely read it soon. I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but, lately, my TBR has had a lot of historical mysteries. I love them but I definitely feel the need to read something contemporary.

I carried two purses today. I used my Liz Claiborne cheetah print bag with red patent handles for work today. I wore black and white with deep red accessories. The bag looked great with my outfit. Later, I went to the bookstore to get the new People magazine. I had changed my clothes so, of course, I changed my bag. My second purse was my black Coach Satchel.

4 comments:

Misfit said...

"All day, from midmorning and the first quarrel of war horns to the ragged, thinning cries as night came down, the sound of the battle came to me from half a mile away."

Lord of Sunset by Parke Godwin. It's about Harold Godwinsson and Edith Swan Neck.

Priya Parmar said...

it is funny, i thought the first sentence would be the hardest to write but then it just showed up and felt like it has always been there. the second sentence however... :)

my favorite first sentence of any novel is 'last night i dreamt i went to manderley again" from rebecca. this sounds like it will be a wonderful theme!

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

Oo I really like this meme idea - the first line of Old City Hall is quite intriguing and funny =) Can't wait to see your review!

I found you via the Blog Hop and love your site! I'm following you now and looking forward to your future posts!

The Bookish Type Book Reviews

Jeanne C. said...

Hi, I am a new follower... found you on the new blogfrog community! What a coincidence... I too love bags, books & Bon Jovi!