Welcome to all my new followers as well as everyone who found me through Book Blogger Hop! I hope you enjoy reading my blog as much as I love writing it.

Today is First Line Friday! I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?
Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.
"She sprang from the womb and waved to the crowd."
Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show
Frank Delaney
I have to say that this first line is now is my top ten favorite first lines ever! Not that I have a list... maybe I should. Combine it with the second line and it's an amazing way to begin a novel! Does it much better than this...
"She sprang from the womb and waved to the crowd. Then she smiled and took a bow."
If that doesn't make you want to read this novel, maybe the cover will.
It's what drew me in, at first. We were at Barnes & Noble looking for the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke. J wanted to take it with him on his Spring Break trip. While he roamed the sci-fi section, I looked at the new fiction titles, as I always do. The cover caught my attention first. More often than not, I read the first line before I read the jacket. Wow! What a first (and second) line it is! There are a lot of very positive reviews on book blogs so I'm very excited to delve into Venetia Kelly's world! If you've read this novel, let me know your thoughts.I know some of you have found Bags, Books & Bon Jovi through the Book Blogger Hop. I, too, have been hopping and found some really great blogs. When I started this blog, I read a stat that estimated 36 million women blog. I thought that was a little, okay...a lot...high. Now, I'm not so sure. There might just be that many great blogs about books! I've looked at blogs that are mainly about genres that I don't read but have found that I really like the blogger's "voice", wit and/or sarcastic comments so I became a follower. I probably won't read their reviewed books but I will make time to read their blog.
I hope that's what you think of me. I hope you like my "voice", wit and/or sarcastic comments. I hope that because my blog isn't just about books (or bags or Bon Jovi), you'll continue to read it. I hope you'll continue to comment or become a follower so that I can read your blog and connect with you.

My purse today was my burgandy motorcycle bag although I don't have the mirror dangling on the outside like this picture. I'd take a picture of my bag but it's buried under J's syuitcase in the car. So, this "stock" picture will have to do. My bag is exactly like this only, because all my stuff is inside, it slouches a bit. We picked up J at the airport tonight. I'm so happy he had a great time but I'm so happy he's home safe. We waited for the school group in the main concourse. It was about twenty minutes before they finally came up the escalator, looking tired, a little sunburned but happy to be home. I spent that twenty minutes doing what I love to do in crowds. I looked at handbags! What an array of purses! I saw everything from "no-name" handbags to well-loved Louis Vuittons and even a stunning Hermès Birkin carried by an older woman. I was, most assuredly, in my element. I told my husband that I could come here with a cup of tea and just look at the bags. I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy...lol.. but was nice enough not to say anything. He knows me too well!
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, I'm having lunch with S and D, two of my oldest friends. I had to juggle a few things to make it work but it's worth it. We just don't get together enough. S lives almost exactly 100 miles from me and D is about 50 miles away. So, it's a treat when we can meet up!


3 comments:
That is an awesome first line Kathy. Let me know how you like the book. It sounds like a keeper. Glad J made it back safe and sound and had a great time too. How'd he like flying?
Oh wow what a great first line! I love it!! I have been curious about this book for awhile. Thank you for stopping by my blog and following!
Karen~
J said both flights were "boring". I told him that means they're good flights :)
Carrie~
I LOVE this first line. I hope the rest of the book is as good!
Post a Comment