Friday, April 9, 2010

First Line Friday


Today is First Line Friday!
I began First Line Friday because first lines have always intrigued me since I heard an author say that writing the first sentence is, by far, the most difficult part of writing a novel. The reasoning was that a first sentence can make the reader continue reading or cause the book to be tossed aside. So, go to your To Be Read Pile, choose as many books as you want and share the first line. Be sure to include the title and author so that if your reader also finds it intriguing, they can find the book. Also, share your thoughts about the first line. Does it draw you in? Is it...exciting...thought provoking...scary...funny?

Join in, if you enjoy first lines as much as I do! Be sure to use my great First Line Friday graphic and leave me a comment so I can read your blog! I'm not the only one with a meme celebrating first lines... Becky at Page Turners at http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/ hosts Book Beginnings... check her blog, too.


"I have never feared any man as much as I fear the man in black."
The Alchemy of Murder
Carol McCleary


"Had she been superstitious, Josephine Tey might have realised the odds were against her when she found that her train, the early-morning express from the Highlands, was running an hour and a half late."
An Expert in Murder
Nicola Upson


I chose two books this Friday for their First Lines. These are exciting because they both foreshadow coming events. How can you not be drawn in to these mysteries after reading these sentences? I also chose two covers of Expert in Murder because I love them both. My library copy is the one with the train... which fits in nicely with the First Line.

I also chose these mysteries because each features a historical figure, Nelly Bly and Josephine Tey, respectively, in a fictionalized mystery. I enjoy novels in which historical figures are characters. I recently finished a mystery which featured Sigmund Freud and some of his contemporaries. It takes a competent author to write a real person into a book... be it a mystery or a mainstream novel. A fictional character really doesn't need to be defended to critics. Yes, that character can be dissected but, at the end of the day, it is solely the author's creation. If an author writes a historical figure as a character, there is, I think, an inherent responsibility to stay true to who that person really was. Yes, of course, there can be dramatic license with the characterization (that's what makes it fiction). If, however, it is at odds with what I know about the person, I find it very difficult to believe anything that the real person, as the character, does. This, in turn, can make it really difficult to enjoy the book as a whole. On the flip side, though, a book, in which that characterization is done well, can make me think differently about the person. When I've turned the last page and find an author's note, I enjoy reading their motivation as to why they used the real person and other details about their writing.


My bag today was my Dooney & Bourke black satchel tote that I bought a few years ago on QVC. Yes, I've succumbed to late-night impulse buying. I've purchased two or three other bags from them and will readily admit that I enjoy (and even look forward to) watching the D&B presentations.

I chose this purse because it has a black pattern on a black background. I bought a really cute top the other day. It's white with a varying black (almost snake-like) pattern so my bag needed to be pretty plain. This bag's pattern is subtle enough that is looks great with the shirt... doesn't compete with its pattern... but adds another (albeit understated) texture to my outfit. The only "blip" in today's outfit is that I couldn't find the earrings I thought would look best. They are hoops that have graduated black beads... again, a little texture but nothing that takes the focus off my new shirt... lol. Yes, I know I probably overthink things like that :o) Anyway, they weren't where I keep my earrings. I wore another black pair but, now, I'm very curious as to where this pair is!

I am loving The Book Blogger Hop! What a great idea Jennifer had. I look forward to Fridays so that I can add my blog to the list, but, more importantly, check out other blogs. Is there a limit on how many blogs I can follow...lol?!? I sure hope not! I'm finding new ones every week.

No comments: